Bottling from a Keg: Cold to Warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
I recently kegged my first batch of beer, and then used the BMBF to bottle off a case, while serving the rest later that evening at a party. I have yet to purchase a kegerator, so I carbonated at room temperature at 30 psi for a couple weeks, then just chilled the whole keg down in an ice bath the day before bottling.

Everything worked great. The carbonation seemed fine. Foam wasn't a problem. The bottles went straight to the fridge.

I have two more batches that I will keg, that I am going to enter in the state fair. I realize that when bottling from a keg, it is ideal have your beer cold, so that more CO2 will stay dissolved, and you won't lose carbonation on the way from tap to bottle. However, I figure that when I turn my beers in to the fair judges, it will need to be at room temperature.

My question is, is it bad to bottle from a keg at, say 40 degrees, and then leave the bottles at room temp until I have to turn them in? Will this create any weird off-flavors in my beer, or should it be ok?

Or it is possible to bottle them while the beer is at room temp, and just leave them that way until I turn them in?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zythe84

I recently kegged my first batch of beer, and then used the BMBF to bottle off a case, while serving the rest later that evening at a party. I have yet to purchase a kegerator, so I carbonated at room temperature at 30 psi for a couple weeks, then just chilled the whole keg down in an ice bath the day before bottling.

Everything worked great. The carbonation seemed fine. Foam wasn't a problem. The bottles went straight to the fridge.

I have two more batches that I will keg, that I am going to enter in the state fair. I realize that when bottling from a keg, it is ideal have your beer cold, so that more CO2 will stay dissolved, and you won't lose carbonation on the way from tap to bottle. However, I figure that when I turn my beers in to the fair judges, it will need to be at room temperature.

My question is, is it bad to bottle from a keg at, say 40 degrees, and then leave the bottles at room temp until I have to turn them in? Will this create any weird off-flavors in my beer, or should it be ok?

Or it is possible to bottle them while the beer is at room temp, and just leave them that way until I turn them in?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zythe84

I bottle all my beers cold from the keg and most of them get stored "warm" until I chill to drink or enter in a comp. The reality of the competition circuit is your beer will probably warm up on the way to the comp and be chilled before judging, anyway.

I've submitted many beers to comp this way and never had any problems. Even snagged plenty of wins.

Back