does it take longer to bottle carb a "big" ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
just curious. i've made a lot of beers of different styles, usually i use the 1-2-3 rule, i bottled a dunkel, and a hugely hopped ipa on sept.8
the dunkel i've already been drinking, plenty of bubbles, the big fat majorly overhopped ipa, which i bottled the same day, has zero bubbles. it pours out completely flat. it tastes fine, but no carbonation. this is the first really "big" beer, and definately the most hopped beer i've made, and i didn't know if the higher a.b.v. and/or the higher amount of hops interfere with the carbing process or what.

i'm sorry, i can't recall the actual numbers right now, but it was something like an o.g. of 1.078, final gravity was around 1.012 and it had somewhere around 4-5 oz. of hops in three teirs in a 60minute boil, and 2oz dryhopped. i left it in primary for a little over a week, and it dry hopped for two weeks, and has been bottled since sept. 8th

In theory it should not take any longer than other beers. I've not heard of hops affecting the activity of the yeast in the bottle. Did you do anything different? Filter or cold crash during the secondary? Has the temperature dropped in your conditioning area? I've found that in the winter in my 60-65ish basement that it takes much longer to bottle carb than in the summer when it's 70 or so down there.

I've noticed that bigger beers tend to take a little longer to come into their own, then smaller grav beers. I have had porters and stouts that have not "popped" for 4-6weeks after bottling.

Besides with beer it's not JUST about carbonation, it's a bout conditioning as well (go read my patience and bottle conditioning blog) that's why high grav beers like barely wines and triples it is recommended to let age for a long time, several months or years...

cool, i'll let it wait. like i said, i bottled both the same night, one right after the other, used the same amount of dextrose i always use, did nothing differently, they both fermented, and were in the secondaries right beside one another in the same room, and they both carbed/conditioned right beside each other in the same closet.

thanks!

Back