Found a scratch in the neck of a plastic water bottle, still ok to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Well, it isn't "really" a better bottle, but it is one of those absopure water jugs. Anyways, I was inspecting it the other day (It was given to me by a co-worker) and I found a scratch in the neck of the bottle. Should I not use this because it could contaminate a batch, or would I be ok if I just washed it out with oxyclean?

I would not recommend it. If it has a lid, I would fill it with RO water and add an ounce of Starsan and keep it as my ready sanitizer bottle.

Thanks for the advice Ed. I wasn't sure if it was worth the risk or not. I really like the suggestion of using it for a sanitizer jug. I think I am going to use that one.

Yep, save a few bucks now, but waste 30 bucks on a batch, plus all the time invested. It's the time more than anything I hate to waste (it goes by so fast as you get older). :D

I would not recommend it. If it has a lid, I would fill it with RO water and add an ounce of Starsan and keep it as my ready sanitizer bottle.

If you can't find a lid for it, consider getting one of these water cooler thingies...

eden_water.jpg

Then you can have hot and cold running sanitizer. :D

Back