What tree, Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
cascade and chinook comming April 1. Little tree 6 inch diameter, in the spot I want to put them. I thought 20 minutes and it would be gone.

About an hour later I finally got the bottom root.

I only have about 12 feet to the eve of the house, and I am sure code enforcement would not permit a structure. But I'll see how it works on 12 feet.

Did most of you who have had your soil tested do it yourself with a kit, or did you take it to the county extention or something similar?

hops tree 014.jpg

hops tree 016.jpg

I just used a kit. It was deficient in everything, which is more or less normal for clay.

That tree was too close to the house anyway. ;)

Sean said:
cascade and chinook comming April 1. Little tree 6 inch diameter, in the spot I want to put them. I thought 20 minutes and it would be gone.

About an hour later I finally got the bottom root.

I only have about 12 feet to the eve of the house, and I am sure code enforcement would not permit a structure. But I'll see how it works on 12 feet.

Did most of you who have had your soil tested do it yourself with a kit, or did you take it to the county extention or something similar?

I work in code enforcement. When planning my tellis system I thought I would need a permit but was told that since the structure is neither a habitable space nor a fence then there is no regulation for it and thus, no permit required.

2338362884_ab3e12d1cc_b.jpg

Sean,
Where are you in NC? I am interested in growing hops this year too, with a decent first year are what kind of yeild can be expected?

Gila,
I looked at that picture and thought of home- Norman

Jt, I am in Pinehurst, and I've never grown hops, but my impression is that first year is mostly for establishing the plant, and yield will be very low, even negligable.

I just went to the garden store and got a soil tester kit. Little pills, and little vials, that I do not have a lot of faith in, but it is all they had. I am not so concerned about the content of the soil, as that is easily remedied, but the pH I want to make sure is in an exceptable range.

BTW, my wife was born in Stillwater, and her parents live outside Blackwell. We were out there a few years ago, and with the atrocious weather they get out there it is amazing so much grows.

BTW2, gila, I like the paint job your neighbor did on his chimney.:eek:

I used the kit, $3.50 and found the soil lacked all fertilizer, and the pH is right around 7, or a bit higher.

What pH do hops prefer? I think I'll just add some organic material, and fertilizer, and call it dirt..

jtvinny,

Im in Fayetteville as well. Air Force uprooted me from TX. Right now I am waiting on some hop ryzomes. Hell im also going to be brewing in a couple of weeks as well. Another hefe......:ban:

Sean since you started this thread I hope you don't mind me hijacking it but-
are either of you interested in going in on some kegs. I don't have the set up yet but I want to do the 888 Imperial Stout and age it in there until I get the whole set up. I have a couple of friends that brew but are not on here that I am going to talk to about getting some. For $15 ea. I thinks it's a great opportunity.

$15 a pop? :rockin: hell at a price like that i think i could go for another 4 or 6. i have 5 now, a spot for 6 in the keezer right now, and the wife wants to start making cokes. send me a PM on the details. Also off subject, how many home brewers are in fayetteville?

jtvinny said:
Sean since you started this thread I hope you don't mind me hijacking it but-
are either of you interested in going in on some kegs. I don't have the set up yet but I want to do the 888 Imperial Stout and age it in there until I get the whole set up. I have a couple of friends that brew but are not on here that I am going to talk to about getting some. For $15 ea. I thinks it's a great opportunity.

I would love to get away from bottling, but I cannot justify the cost right now. I am in school full time, and work almost full time, so I only brew about 4-5 batches a year. Plus tuition, books, etc...Thanks for the offer.

Back