Dry yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletapbrewing

Reaction score
I have a few basic questions about dry yeast. First, are all dry yeast packets supposed to be vacuum packed? I got some S-04 for an oatmeal stout and it is not vacuum packed like the Nottingham is.
Second, is it necessary to store dry yeast in your fridge until use? The package only says to store in a cool, dry place. I have been storing the dry yeast packets in my fridge and of course my fridge smells of other food. Do you think that the smell could impart itself in the yeast, producing off flavors?

Vacuum packaging is not always used. I keep mine in the fridge (wine yeast) but I have seen several LHBS's just keep it on the shelf...it has a long shelf life, longer if kept refrigerated (2-3 years).

That's been my experience with s04 and s05 yeasts. Not vacuum sealed. Never had an issue.

I have always kept my yeast in the fridge and there has been some nasty stuff in there from time to time and never been an issue.

The fridge is the best place to keep dry yeast. Just get it out a couple of hours ahead of time and place it on the counter to warm to room temp.

Do you know how to rehydrate it before pitching?

Thanks for the responses guys, pretty much what I expected and what I have been doing. I do know how to rehydrate the yeast.

Back