Bloopers!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseLima

Reaction score
What is the worst thing or mistake that has happen to you while brewing?

I had a 10 gallon lager batch in 2 corny kegs in my temperature controlled chest freezer. I was doing something in there and for whatever reason took out the temperature probe and forgot to put it back in making the freezer run 100% of the time. Froze both kegs solid before I found out. That beer sucked and I was looking forward to the batch.

Dropping a big ass binder clamp into my kettle just before it hit a boil, it got wedged under my element and I couldn't get it out. Sooo frustrating....

Not a big deal, but a friend and I simultaneously opened 2 bottles of a very over-carbonated saison, subsequently spraying the entire contents all over the kitchen. Wife was pissed.

I broke a floating thermometer in the brew kettle. The little steel weights sunk to the bottom. I went ahead and fermented and bottled as planned, but the beer had a rusty flavor to it :(

I had a crimp in my wort chiller hose today. The hot water caused the vinyl to stretch and explode like an overfilled water balloon while I was watching.
IMG_3029_zps9e21a51a.jpg

i cold crashed on my porch and the temp dropped during the day and i came home to a completely fozen solid carboy.

Called it "Snowballing IPA"

one time we had a kit that had extra LME in it. It was first beer we brewed and they claimed there was irish moss in there as well. So long story short, I confused the extra LME with priming sugar and the priming sugar with Irish Moss and then not too much later, boom, bottle bombs. We saved a few bottles and put them in a growler (that my brother released the pressure on every day. Anyway it came out really carbonated. Like worse than Champagne.

I poured water that was too hot into a BB carboy and it melted.

Thankfully I had a second one to finish the batch... until the thermometer shattered in the wort and that brew day was destroyed. So upsetting.

Had a boilover on a 3bbl batch of IPA recently, that was fun to clean up :smack: Not real sure why or how since I used the same procedure and hit all my targets...I now watch my boils a lot closer.

Wasn't thinking and repitched yeast into 6bbl of Amber, never occured to me the hop flavor of the IPA it was last used on would bleed as badly as it did into the Amber. Even though it isn't bad it definitley is not what you expect from an Amber....it is selling painfully slow, probably should have just dumped it instead of putting it on tap.

I couldn't find the black tip to my racking cane for about a week. It had been coming loose and I assumed it fell on the floor and rolled somewhere out of sight. I transferred an IPA from secondary to keg and there it was in the bottom of the carboy. Still not sure if it was my imagination but the whole thing tasted like plastic to me.

I forgot to put the false bottom and dip tube assembly into my mash tun. :tank:

Brought the strike water up to 163 degrees, stirred in the grains, mashed for 90 minutes. Opened up the valve to drain the wort, and nothing but grains came out. I could not figure out why. Then I saw the false bottom on my work bench.

Had to scope out all the grains into my empty fermentation pales, pour the rest of the wort into the pales, then installed the false bottom. Then poured all the wort back into mash tun.Let it sit for another half-hour. Drained it.

Beer came out great.

Recently I was doing a double brew day, and on the second brew as I was about half way mashed in I noticed I forgot one crucial thing.....my grain bag (I BIAB.) To top it all of I thought I might be able to use my pump to pump all the wort out of the kettle into buckets. That didn't work to well and my hoses clogged with grain. The beer is fermenting right now, and I hit all my numbers. I am sure it will come out amazing :).

Back