Is my wine screwed? First time wine making here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
Just did my FIRST wine batch, and of course I think I screwed up. The vessel I was using to pour the water into my bucket I forgot to sanitize, everything else I sanitized just not the 4 liter pitcher I was using for water :mad: I am super bummed because now I am worried I screwed my whole first batch :mad: any recommendations? Or should I just pitch it? Thanks... Super bummed!!

did you use a campden tablet in your must? did you pitch the yeast yet? would be ashame to abort a fermentation prematurely. where did you get the 4 liter container? was it used for anything else? i think you'll be ok while still in the fermentation process but i'm no expert either. you'll still get wine either way, just might not taste like it should. and if you're not familiar with how homemade wine tastes you may never even know. I use a big rubbemaid container marked "cleaner". I collect all my tools, tubing, utensils, etc. and gather them all up in it. then i add cleanser. it's much easier than setting stuff on the counter cause then you forget to grab something. i do the same with my sanitizing after cleaning.

No tablets. I'm waiting to pitch the yeast, needs to cool down a couple more degrees. I normally wouldn't forget that detail but it was just one of those days. :(

any reason you don't use campden tablets in your must? how old is the must? given the circumstances you may want to consider a tablet in your must, but then you'll have to wait at least 24 hours until pitching yeast. it would certainly help anyways if you're worried about "funkies".

kmdakota1 said:
any reason you don't use campden tablets in your must? how old is the must? given the circumstances you may want to consider a tablet in your must, but then you'll have to wait at least 24 hours until pitching yeast. it would certainly help anyways if you're worried about "funkies".

It was my first batch & the kit did not say to add it.

Campden tabs are a PIA, buy a pound of potassium metabisulphate (kmeta). 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons of must.

I use about 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons to 'sterilize' my gear.

The romans had slaves literally 'stomp' the grapes. They just used volcanic ash instead of kmeta. I bet your must will be fine.

I reckon, you'll be fine. If youve come from a beer brewing background your used to MUCH higher standards of hygeine than the average winery requires (not to say you can slack off totally). The lower pH in fruit juice and higher Alcohol levels in finished wine make it less susceptible to microbial activity than beer. Many commercial wineries ferment using only the yeasts indigenous to the winery/vineyard.

ThatKiwiWineBloke
>25 harvests in 4 continents and counting!
NZ,AU,ESP,FR,RU,US

Back