Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmason1623

Reaction score
There seems to be enough interest for another group buy for at least one pallet so I'll get the ball rolling on "Group Buy in Chicago #5".

For those who have not participated in group buys in the past that I coordinate here are a few details:

1) I keep a running spreadsheet that us accessible by those participating in the buy. If you want to buy grain send me a PM with a valid email address preferably your paypal address (more to come on paypal) and the grain you desire. I will enter your info on the spreadsheet and email you the link.

2) Once we decide a cutoff (usually in full pallets of 42 sack increments), I will request a quote from the distributor in South Holland. Per HBT rules, I do not mark up anything.

3) When the quote is received I will post it on google docs and send everyone the link to it so they can verify pricing.

4) When everybody verifies the quote versus what is on my spreadsheet and we are all in agreement then I star receiving payments from everybody. Payment can be made via paypal, check or cash. WHEN PAYING WITH PAYPAL, PLEASE PAY THE TRANSACTION FEES YOURSELF; I WILL NOT PAY THE FEES. DO NOT GIFT ME THE MONEY EITHER BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED A WARNING REGARDING THAT ON THE LAST BUY. PLEASE ADHERE TO THESE PAYPAL RULES OR THEY WILL FREEZE MY ACCOUNT AND WE ALL GET SCREWED.

5) Once everyone pays (see item #4!) I will place the order and make the necessary payment.

6) Grain is usually delivered within a couple of days after they receive payment. Delivery will be to my shop around the vicinity of Cicero and Grand in Chicago. The exact address will be on the quote from the distributor that I will post in google docs.

7) Then everybody coordinates with me on pick up times.

8) Lastly, I will only be handling full sacks. This means that any split sacks should be worked out among the participants. One participants pays for the full sack then collects from the other participants and coordinates the actual physical splitting of the grain/hops/etc. The accounting for the splits is tedious and I really do not want to deal with it. Sorry.

9) All grain except Breiss is available to us. The only Breiss product available to us are 50 Lb. sacks of DME. Hops in 11 pound increments are also available at wholesale pricing. Cleaning supplies like PBW, starsan, etc is available too. Pretty much everything in the wholesale catalog is available with some exceptions.

To those who have participated in the past please feel free to send the catalog link and password to the newcomers. I would greatly appreciate that. If you have any questions post it on this thread. Maybe we can outdo the last buy of 3 pallets. Get your grain mills ready!

Can someone PM me the link/password for the catalog? Thanks.

PM sent, im in for 4 sacks and im looking for someone to split sack of wheat and/or rye with me (could be 2 or 3 way split)
If we also decide to do hops i may be for 1lb depends on what kind.
Thanks Bill!!!

Is anyone interested in splitting 11# of EKG? I would be in for 2#. We would need someone willing to sacrifice their vacuum sealer for a day. I should also be in for at least two sacks but have to confirm that first.

Is anyone interested in splitting 11# of EKG? I would be in for 2#. We would need someone willing to sacrifice their vacuum sealer for a day. I should also be in for at least two sacks but have to confirm that first.

EKG is something that i dont have so i will take 1lb

I'll start entering the orders later on this evening. First come first serve...

Super awesome..
Anyone suggest which Pilsner manufacturer to go with.. mainly as a base malt for Bocks and darker largers...

cyclogenesis said:
Super awesome..
Anyone suggest which Pilsner manufacturer to go with.. mainly as a base malt for Bocks and darker largers...

I like Best Malz myself.

Thanks.. You have PMs..

Wow, correct me if I am wrong, but those PBW and starsan prices look awesome..

Thanks.. You have PMs..

Wow, correct me if I am wrong, but those PBW and starsan prices look awesome..

Starsan is a great price. We split up two of the 4x1gallon packs last buy. One thing to keep in mind, there is a hazardous materials delivery surcharge of about $15 for any quantity. Not bad when we split across 10 people but it will kill the savings on a 64oz lone bottle.

To all the newcomers:

Please read the details in my original post. Breiss malt is NOT available to us.

we're at 33 bags already. I think we should try for 2 pallets (84 sacks).

Would also be willing to take at least a # of EKG. Probably 3-4 sacks also. Is there any
interest in splitting any other hops, perhaps? The All Natural flavoring syrup looks
interesting too. I'd like to grab some of the Strawberry one of if at least 3 others were
interested in splitting that. :)

Where do we stand on PBW and StarSan? I could use both and was going to swing over to BaseCamp for them.

RC0032 said:
Where do we stand on PBW and StarSan? I could use both and was going to swing over to BaseCamp for them.

That stuff is available to us. A gallon of starsan is about $30 or so. I use oxy clean instead of pbw so I don't bother remembering prices on it.

IIRC it comes 4 to a case. So with the $15 hazmat charge we are looking at $34....and a gal is a lot!

Hum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back