Boddington's Bitter (Orfy's Modified)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
Here is the original thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/boddingtons-bitter-21131/

I'm mashing a little hotter. I'm also worried I crushed too fine and am headed for a stuck sparge.

7-3/4lb Maris Otter
1/2lb Carapils
1/4lb Crystal Malt
1-oz chocolate malt

Amount Item Type 3/4oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
(First Wort Hop) Hops Place the hops into the collector pot.
-- Drain Mash Tun into collector
Start to heat collected wort while fininshing the sparges.
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 2gal of 180 F water.
(Sparge set in at about 154)
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3gal of 180 C water.
(Sparge set in at about 158)
-- Collected a boil volume of about 7 gallons.
Wort was running fairly clear toward the end.

Boil for 60 min

Hopping schedule:
...I substituted UK Fuggles 5%, and Euro Northern Brewer 9.8%
3/4oz UK Fuggles, First Wort Hops. Place it in the wort collector.
1oz Euro Northern Brewer (45 minutes)
_____(Really, this is the second addition as you already added hops in collector)
1/4oz (15 minutes) Third addition.
_____1oz UK Fuggles (0 minutes, AKA flame-out) Fourth addition.

I let mine cool on the back deck. I think some of my aroma ends up heading into the bittering this way. I think it will be reasonable though, because of the first wort hop procedure.

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water as needed to achieve 6 gallons of wort for fermenting.
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.

I plan on making a re-hydrating yeast with a little sugar, from dry Safale S-o4 for pitching tomorrow.

...screwed up the hop additions anyway. I put in a whole 1-3/4ounces at 45 minutes.
....I added the 1/4 oz at flame out.

I set about 7 gallons on the deck to cool.

I will mix it when I transfer to fermentor.

Aerate it before I add the yeast thingy (it's not a real starter).

We bottled it tonight.

The final gravity was 1.014. I put in two thirds of a cup of priming sugar for almost 5 gallons of beer.

We gently poured it into the bottling bucket. It smelled good.

It was cloudy - I think I was too aggressive on my "crush". It was more of a grind.

This is really getting good.

I'm supposed to have some for no. 2 son's graduation party. I'm afraid ti will evaporate before then.

:)

I drank two out of the fridge last night.

It's really good. Not too much head, not too heavy, nice bitter on the back of the tongue.

This is going on my standard list to brew.

I kinda hate to chime in since I'm ruining an exclusive chronological stream of your experience making this beer. It was cool to read and I'm really glad that it turned out well.

I agree that it's a great beer. Planning on making a batch when the weather begins to cool.

:mug:

There is going to be local competition were we can submit our beers and the winner's recipe will be brewed and featured at a local brew-pub. To add to that said brewer will be given 5 gallons to take home on top of that.

I miss this beer.

You guys are slipping. No one mentioned - I didn't record my mash temperature. :confused: I'm pretty sure I was below 167F.

Charles Boddington ...on the attempted hostile takeover of Strangeways (from Wikipedia)

You will be only too aware that present-day pressures bear heavily towards the elimination of individuality and character in many consumer goods. There is an inexorable progression towards the mass-produced nationwide product of standardised quality. You, however, are still, at this moment in time, a shareholder in one of the remaining independent brewery companies whose traditional draught beers have a reputation for quality and individual character beyond the immediate area of the North of England in which we operate ... The takeover of Boddingtons and its consequent elimination can achieve very little. It will do nothing for the national economy, add nothing to the nation's exports, and contribute nothing at all to the quality of life that we are all used to enjoy.

...and...

The Observer commented in 1974 that Boddingtons cheap pricing and distinctive flavour afforded it its unusually loyal following.[20] In 1981 the same newspaper commented,
"what has stood Boddingtons in good stead is the highly distinctive flavour of its brews, especially its bitters. In fact, in the North-West, Boddies is increasingly becoming a sort of cult brew."

I "crushed" for a double batch, 16-3/4lbs for this last night. I use a corona style mill. It is sort of a course grind. I am mashing right now. I got a tad hot. I am at 160F with the mashtun lid open to allow any cooling that might happen.

I'm trying to run water calcs. It isn't coming out right. I want to end up with 14 gallons. I had 7 gallons on my first single batch.

I'm using 1.75 pints per pound. I'm only getting a tidge over 7 gallons. I collected that much on my first single batch.

Googled "all grain water to grain ratio". How to Brew came up on the top: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-4.html

It states: "
At a water to grain ratio of 1.5:1, qt./lb."
, OK, that's easy and almost makes sense. 14-1/2 gallons. But what about loss for grain? I'm guessing about 3~4 gallons for that also.

Boddington's Bitter (Double Batch-Modified)

Concentrating on recording my mash temp this time! Shooting for 14 gallons of wort. (3) five gallon SS pots

Boddington's Pub Ale (Double Batch-Modified)

Concentrating on recording my mash temp this time! Shooting for 14 gallons of wort. (3) five gallon SS pots

16lb Maris Otter
14oz Carabrown Malt (Briess Carabrown Malt #6461)
10oz Mild Malt (Ashburne Mild Malt #5355)
2-1/4oz Chocolate Malt (Briess Dark Chocolate Malt #5444)

Mash in at 158F with 4.5 Gallons water just shy of 166F, waited 10 minutes for heat to even out and took a temp.

I was in the 145F range - too cool. I added a couple gallons more water at 166F.

The thermometer came up to 158F, top of my target range.Let it set for 45 minutes. It dropped to 155F, just about right, after 20 minutes, I closed the lid to retain heat.

I drained the grain bed too dry. Put about 4-1/2 gallons of wort with first wort hop addition,1-1/2oz Northern Brewer, on to boil.

I placed the first sparge with about 4-1/2 gallons 170F water and it and came to rest at 155F. Wait about ten minutes. Drain. Start boil

I placed the first sparge with about 6-1/2 gallons 150F water and it and came to rest at 150F. Wait about ten minutes. Drain. Put on stove to boil. I added a little of the excess to top off the first two pots.

I only got the first pot to rolling boil. The other two were up to 208F and 195F in order of sparging. Not much loss of volume.

Amount 1-1/2oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
-- Drain Mash Tun into collector.
Start to heat collected wort while finishing the sparges.
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 4gal of 180 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 4gal of 180 C water.
---------------Collected a boil volume of about _ gallons.
---------------Wort was running fairly clear toward the end.

Boil for 60 min.

Hopping schedule:
( ...Vs. Orfy's recipe, I substituted UK Fuggles 4.3% Alpha, and Euro Northern Brewer 9.8% Alpha)

__First Wort Hops were already placed it in the wort first pot.
__Second addition 2oz Fuggles AND 1-1/2oz Euro Northern Brewer (45 minutes)
(...this is the second as you already added hops in the first pot)
__Third 1oz UK Fuggles (0 minutes, AKA flame-out) Fourth addition.

The hops come out to even ounces. That is how I buy them.

I pour my pots back and forth to aerate the wort and make it homogeneous.

I let mine cool on the back deck. The low tonight will be in the twenties.
I think some of my aroma ends up heading into the bittering this way.

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature.
-- Add water as needed to achieve correct Specific Gravity of wort for fermenting? No
Pour wort equal parts from the boil pots into the HDPE buckets to get the SG equal. Done at end of boil.

I made a re-hydrated yeast origin with a little sugar, from dry Safale S-04 for
pitching tomorrow.

------------------------------------------

I set about 15 gallons on the deck to cool. I'm looking at it and think my head-space may be too little.

....NEXT DAY.

I added the yeast thingy this morning (it's not a real starter, starter light?).

------------------------------------------

I brought the wort off the deck this morning.

The wort was 64F and before pitching yeast the OG was 1.044.

It was cloudy - I think I was still too aggressive on my "crush".

I brought the wort off the deck this morning. I poured the buckets back and forth to try and get the SG homogeneous again. I added the yeast thingy this morning (it's not a real starter, starter light?).

EDIT - The Specific Gravity prior to yeast pitch - 1.044.

I took a peek last night.

Boddington's_Bitter.jpg

Kreusen.jpg

We bottled 13 1/2 gallons tonight. There was loss due to trub.

Specific gravity of the pots ended up at 1.010, 1.015, and 1.012. The one with 1.015 had a little more bubbling going on. The other two looked finished.

I used 1/2 cup corn sugar for each pot.

The pot that had a higher S.G. I put in Rubbermade.

Here is the original thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/boddingtons-bitter-21131/

I'm mashing a little hotter. I'm also worried I crushed too fine and am headed for a stuck sparge.

7-3/4lb Maris Otter
1/2lb Carapils
1/4lb Crystal Malt EDIT 60L
1-oz chocolate malt

Amount Item Type 3/4oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
-- Drain Mash Tun into collector
Start to heat collected wort while fininshing the sparges.
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 2gal of 180 F water 10 minutes.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3gal of 180 C water 10 minutes.
-- Collected a boil volume of about 7 gallons.
Wort was running fairly clear toward the end.

Boil for 60 min

Hopping schedule:
...I substituted UK Fuggles 5%, and Euro Northern Brewer 9.8%
3/4oz UK Fuggles, First Wort Hops. Place it in the wort collector.
1oz Euro Northern Brewer (45 minutes)
_____(Really, this is the second addition as you already added hops in collector)
1/4oz (15 minutes) Third addition.
_____1oz UK Fuggles (0 minutes, AKA flame-out) Fourth addition.

I let mine cool on the back deck. I think some of my aroma ends up heading into the bittering this way. I think it will be reasonable though, because of the first wort hop procedure.

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water as needed to achieve 6 gallons of wort for fermenting.
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.

I plan on making a re-hydrating yeast with a little sugar, from dry Safale S-o4 for pitching tomorrow.

...screwed up the hop additions anyway. I put in a whole 1-3/4ounces at 45 minutes.
....I added the 1/4 oz at flame out.

I entered it in two competitions. One was for a local micro-brewery. The winner get to have 750 gallons of it made and 5 gallons to take home AND it will be entered in GABF. I didn't win, but it got decent reviews for my methods.

I also set ti out for my local club last night. We are having a style contest for Mai Bocks. My last batch was to malty and I thought it might fit. It was fourth place and I couldn't tell which entry it was at all. It was an interesting experiment.

I got ingredients to do it again. I'm going to try to back it up to the first recipe. I noticed I had left off the 60L

The malty batch was a lot lighter than the first batch. I wish I'd have had a chance to taste the original.

I ground grain about a week ago.

Rinsed the mashtun out and let it pre-heat.

I have 16.4lbs with 5-1/2 gallons of 173 deg F water settled down to mash at 157. Not bad.

I plan on 13-1/2 gallons total with about 2-1/2 loss to grain.

This is how it built in Brewmate:

Blckbird Bitter 2 (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.030 (°P): 7.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 2.95 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 26.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

87.79% Maris Otter Malt
7.27% Carapils (Dextrine)
4% Crystal 60
0.94% Chocolate

0.1 oz/Gal East Kent Golding (9.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Fuggles (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Fuggles (3.6% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 157°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I am guessing I missed something in the calculations though. I always get a considerably higher OG with my system and that amount of grain/water etc.

We shall see.

Well.... Tonight I had an official stuck sparge. I scooped the mash out, put some rice hulls in the bottom, and put the mash back in - more of a fly sparge to get finished. It took an extra ten minutes overall.

I ended up with more wort collected than I anticipated too.

It will be interesting to see my OG after boil.

so, I'm finding I know my system, but I'm not sure it would translate. I got 1.047 OG at just barely above room temp.

I used the sample to make a small starter.

...and my pepper seeds came in the mail today. :D

b_peppers.jpg

b_Starter.jpg

beer3-09-2013-sa.jpg

beer3-09-2013-sb.jpg

A friend told me Marris Otter is a malt. I didn't get a super malty flavor from my first batch, but I did from the second one.

Hmmmn.

We'll see how three turns out.

I checked my Final Gravity before adding bottling sugar, it came to 1.012. Four thousandths high. I cut back on the bottling sugar to 1/3 cup for four gallons. I had a total of three fermentors and twelve gallons.

My Bitter

7-1/2 lbs Rahr Maris Otter
1/2 lb Weyermann CaraHell
1/4 lb Patagonia C170
1 oz Midnight wheat malt #6459
1 tsp cocoa nibs (steeped in vodka to sterilize @ yeast pitch)

@60 min - 1-1/2 oz BSG East Kent Golding AA 5.6%
@12 min - 1/2 oz BSG East Kent Golding AA 5.6%

...no cocao nibs this batch.

24lb Maris Otter
1-1/2lb Carapils
3/4lb Crystal Malt
3-oz chocolate malt
LHBS didn't have part numbers written down - I think the Maris Otter makes the biggest difference.
WLP-005 yeast - man that **** took off. I did a cheesy little starter for a couple hours with some spare wort.
O.G 1.046 @ room temp
15 gallons in the fermentors - piss on efficiency.

Back