Short's Soft Parade Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen a clone recipe but Soft Parade is mostly 2-row and toasted rye. Short's uses a blend of pureed Michigan berries for the berry flavor. It's 8% and 15 IBU. The toasted rye is going to make it next to impossible to clone in an extract IMO.

Does anyone else have crazy dreams after a couple of these? I am too looking for a clone recipe.

I have tried my hand at an all grain recipe.

14 lbs 2 Row 75.5%
2.5 lbs. Toasted flaked rye 13.5%
1 lbs Carapils 5.4%
1 lbs. Caramel 10L 5.4%

.75 ounce cascade at 60 mins
.75 ounce cascade at 30 mins
1 tsp Irish moss at 10 mins
2 lbs of raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, and blackberry In secondary

Figuring they use 200 lbs of fruit, I'm assuming in a 28 barrel batch. That would be about 1.15 lbs per 5 gallons, I'm just rounding up to 2 lbs.

OG 1.082
FG 1.022
15.3 IBU
8 %

I will be brewing this shortly, I am brewing this in a few days. Does anyone have anything to add to the recipe?

I'm staying tuned into this thread, I love soft parade, and would love to brew it...what "ratio" of fruits are you thinking of using?

DRum

I changed up the grain bill a little.

14 lbs 2 Row 75.5%
2 lbs. White wheat malt

.50 ounce cascade flameout
5 lbs of raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, and blackberry In secondary

They use 200 lbs of fruit for a 7 barrel batch. That's about 5 lbs for 5 gallons.

OG 1.082
FG 1.022
15.3 IBU
8 %

I got around 1.070 OG, but the fruit will add some points when I add it in a few days. Im not exactly sure the ratios of fruit, more red fruit than blue. I plan on making a purée and going from there.

Tasted the hydrometer sample and it is slightly sweet with a spice undertone. When I racked to the secondary it was 1.017. Airlock activity was minimal and most of the krausen had fell.

With one thing in mind, more red than blue, I ended up winging it.

Strawberry 39 oz
Blueberry 12 oz
Blackberry 8 oz
Raspberry 21 oz
.5 cup of Bolthouse Farms berry smoothie, to get things going in blender

With 5 lbs of fruit, I washed and cut them up. I pureed them in the blender and heated them to 160 degrees on the stove for 10 mins. With the ABV at 7%, im hoping that will fight most bugs. I heated the mush for a little more piece of mind.

Here it is after racking to the secondary. So far after 4 days there has been little airlock activity and no secondary krausen. I will probably leave it in the secondary for a total of 2 weeks and then crash/keg.

photo-3.jpg

Clone on the left. I might reduce the wheat back to 1 pound and increase the rye to 4 pounds. Also I will increase the blueberries to get a darker color.

Appearance- Cloudy, might be due to the wheat. I did cold crash for 2 days. May increase cold crash to 7 days.

Taste- Pretty close. As this beer ages the better it gets.

I will try this again in a few months. This will be a great beer for the summer.

softparade.jpg

Thanks for the update, looks great!
Is it possible to brew this as an extract recipe (I didn't even know the difference when I posted this question :lol: )...I'm not to AG yet, unfortunatly.

Thanks!
DRum

I think you could make an extract version of this beer. Northern Brewer has a rye malt syrup that I used a few months ago in a different beer. I'm not sure if the ratios are still the same but the rye malt syrup I used contained 70% 2-row, 10% caramel 40L, and 20% rye. It seems like using this malt syrup would get you pretty close to the grain bill listed in the recipe above.

US05.

Just brewed this again.

Changed up the grain and fruit bill a bit. Will report back when it's kegged.

Any update?

I've got an IPA sitting on a bed of us05 that I plan on reusing to make this.
Am likely doing a partial mash to convert the rye. Still a noob, so no ag setup yet, but half a dozen partials unde my belt.

Thanks!

Traded out 1 lb of wheat for 1lb toasted rye. Not so much soft parade spot on but not bad. It seems shorts is using more blue/black then red berries. Good luck.

2 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract
8 lbs Briess Golden Light (4.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 4 11.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast
5.00 lb Fresh Fruit (Secondary 14.0 days)
They use strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, unknown ratio

Est Original Gravity: 1.101 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.3 %
Bitterness: 14.3 IBUs
Est Color: 7.0 SRM

14 lbs 2 Row 75.5%
2 lbs. White wheat malt

They use 200 lbs of fruit for a 7 barrel batch. That's about 5 lbs for 5 gallons.

OG 1.082
FG 1.022
15.3 IBU
8 %

I got around 1.070 OG, but the fruit will add some points when I add it in a few days. Im not exactly sure the ratios of fruit, more red fruit than blue. I plan on making a purée and going from there.

Going to give this a go for the wife this weekend....what temp did you mash at?

152. The fruit will help dry it out in the secondary.

Last batch I did 75% 2 row, 20% toasted rye flakes and 5% white wheat. Had a little more rye bite which was good with the fruit. Good luck!

Way late to this post but really wanna do it! How long did this take to bottle condition? I have a tripel in the bottles right now that needs another 6 months in the bottle so I would like something that only needs a month or so. Is this one doable? And you puréed the fruit first then put in secondary?

Def not 6 months. I normally go for 3 weeks then as they age longer, the better they get. My latest recipe really isn't soft parade. It is however a fruit rye ale, which soft parade is. If that makes sense.

And was it as strong as a soft parade is? Soft parade is like 8%. You think it would condition and carb up fairly quickly then?

Well brewed this yesterday, hit all my numbers-except lost about a gallon in trub. Only put about 4.5 gallons in the carboy. First time milling my own grain with a cheap corona mill, got great efficiency, but maybe created more trub.

Did you do fruit in the boil? Is that where you lost some too? Or no? What was your recipe?

14 lbs 2 Row 75.5%
2 lbs. White wheat malt

OG 1.082
FG 1.022
15.3 IBU
8 %

That's the recipe I used, no fruit in boil.

I have been looking for a nice big fruit beer to try out for summer and thought soft parade would work great. Here's my issue with it though, none of us have liked it much from shorts because of all the rye that's in it. If i were to about completely drop it and just make up the difference in 2 row and a bit of wheat and keep with the 5lbs of fruit would it be horribly unbalanced?
First shot at a real fruit beer and would hate to waste it all

Back