Bottle Conditioning Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueray

Reaction score
Here's a question for you brewing veterans:
I brewed a batch of red ale and all seemed to go along fine until the bottle conditioning stage. Due to some significant distractions at the time, I let the bottles go for a couple of weeks in lower than ideal temps. They probably dropped 4-6 degrees below the lower end of the range.
I adjusted by raising the temperature into the desired range for a couple of weeks, but noticed the flocculant settled from throughout the bottle to about the bottom 1-2 inches. So, I thought just a little more time might be sufficient to resolve the problem. Since then, however, about 6 more weeks have passed with no change. The top 3/4ths of the bottle is crystal clear, but the bottom 1/4th is still very cloudy.
Will more time resolve this, is this batch too far gone, or is there some modest intervention I could undertake to manipulate this to a more favorable outcome?
Would appreciate your help.

What temperature have they been conditioning at? Upper 60's to right at 70 is ideal, as I'm sure you know already. Also what type & amount of priming sugar did you use?

First, I would pop one open and see how well carbed they are, and then most likely you will just want to refridgerate them for a few days before drinking them, which is a good idea anyway. OR, if you have the means & space get the whole batch down to lagering temps for a couple weeks and that should help everything settle out.

Yeah, just stand some up in the fridge for a day, then try one. I think you are overthinking. ;) One quick fix would be to pour it off into a glass, leaving the cloudy part in the bottle. Of course, then you will be forced to drink it. :tank:

Thanks---I had read about the chilling further, but didn't know if that would apply in this particular situation.
The yeast was Nottingham and it probably dropped to mid/upper 50s. As I read, 62 is the lower end. For the first time, I used Cooper's drops. Every prior batch, I had used the corn sugar solution.
PKeeler: I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to drink it...LOL..touche.
Thanks all for your input.

Back