Best Beer Memory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was listening to one of my favorite songs the other day and was enjoying how the song was able to take me to a different time and place. I started to wonder if I could relate that to beer. I started to think of beers that have a great memory associated with them and how when I drink one of those beers I seem to think about that moment, even if for an instance.

I was wondering if any of you have a "beer memory". Mine is a wonderful night of great weather and baseball with my brother and PBR's, but I'd like to hear yours.

You can find my story here and I encourage you to post your story here as well. I'd love to hear it!

Beer Memories | Mike's Brew Review

Although my palate has developed greatly since that first sip of coors light, I still drink a fair amount of BMC. Every once in a while when I pick up a warm can (important part) of BMC, it takes me back to my friends basement at 16, pulling cans out of a plastic 6-pack holder and wondering if I could finish all six or not...

Whenever I drink Bell's Oberon, it takes me back to college (Michigan State). It may not be my favorite beer anymore, but it was definitely the GO TO craft beer of my college days.

LOL.

Love it guys!

I remember in high school we used to get a party ball of Bud Light on a Friday night. If we finished it, 8 of us, it was impressive. It still is kind of a feat, but by our standards today we finish off kegs and still want more...

As for Bell's Oberon, I've got a beer like that to. Linie's Honeyweiss...This was probably the first craft brew that I drank consistently. It was all I drank for a while and now the only time I ever get it is when I go and eat hot wings. So I suppose from here on out each time I drink Honeyweiss, of course if it isn't with wings, I'll be thinking about delicious fried chicken!

Thanks for the responses. I love hearing people's stories.

Like most of you guys, one of my favorite memories involved a "starter beer". My friends and I all went down to St. Augustine for spring break. Despite a couple of us moving away for school, we were all able to meet up and drive down together.

After walking around St. Augustine in the hot Florida sun all day, we decided to stop into a burger bar-style place with a covered patio overlooking the St. John's river. It was great to just take a break from walking around to enjoy a big (1 lb.), juicy cheeseburger with some cold Yuenglings on draft.

Not the greatest beer in the world, but one of my greatest beer memories for sure.

The 70`s Nashua,NH -> kegs of Molson Golden ale placed in snowbanks to keep cold and snow filled bongs:drunk:

Fast forward to the early 80s and it was Mickey's Big Mouth:tank:

Now the early 90s and it was O'Malley's Irish pub (daytona beach) and drinking every type of beer from around the world to get your name on a award plaques over the bar:fro:

I have a few...

Coors light on tap in Colorado before I got into the craft brews was so delicious compared to what we got back east. My wife and I got hooked on those for a while.

On a trip to Albuquerque I had my first Fat Tire. That really stood/stands out as one of the best tasting beers ever.

Mojo IPA and Hazed and Infused, Boulder Beer Co. are recent beer experiences seared into the memory from annual trips to the area.

One summer night in 1983 my two friends and I were kicking around the neighborhood and saw a brown paper bag sitting by the curb, it looked full of something. That something was a six pack of COLD Michelob! Someone must've forgotten to bring it in after hopping, oh well, their loss was our gain. Two beers each and we were having a GREAT time! My buddy's older sister found us out but she was cool. Oh what a night.....

When I drink bud light from a keg with my friends from growing up it reminds me of my 21st birthday. At the end of the night we realized no one had done a keg stand and I was to blitzed to do much of anything. One of my firends tried to do one. We got him up, but there was next to nothing in the keg and it tipped over. He landed on his neck and miraculously got up and laughed it off. I thought we were going to the hospital for sure.

summer 1977 fresh out of high school living on long island . Sitting on the beach with a Moosehead and Marilyn making one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever had.....

Yeah, I remember sneaking bottles of Michelob Light out to the barn at my friend's house. And my grandpa would always drink PBR (Actually I think both of them did...)

Somehow the sheer awesomeness of drinking Michelob Light at that tender age makes me sort of want to have it again. But I'm afraid of ruining that memory.

I also remember Goebel's being part of my first drunk. My friend's sister worked at a local bar and brought us home a 6-pack. How I never scored with her in all those years I knew her, is still a mystery. (ok, I looked in the mirror and mystery solved).

Homer I take it you are part of the 21 drinking era. I am from the 18 yr old era nothing beat going to class on a Friday morning hung over ....25 cent drafts all night Thursday's

First time I visited Eugene, OR and stepped into the Bier Stein.

I felt like Tom Hanks in the first half of BIG. Of the thousand or so bottles they carry, I may have recognized 50 (and most of those were the German/Belgiums you find on both coasts). I remember thinking I knew a good amount of West Coast beers because I drank SNPA, of course, had a few Rogues, and tried Fat Tire once on a trip to Colorado....I was blown away.

I would have to say Killians Red...makes me think of college. Also Ebulum (elderberry ale) it was one of the first "exotic" beers id ever had...reminds me of when i really got interested in non BMC beers.

Being ~16yrs old - going to Germany [near Dusseldorf] for a school exchange program for 3 weeks. Being introduced to Alt Bier, esp. after playing soccer with the students. Or a late night in a German pub drinking Guinness so thick you could put a German Mark coin on the head! Quite a number of good stories from that trip!

3 weeks of drinking at 16 and legal.... definitely where I developed a taste for malty beers.

keystone light takes me back to when i lived in Harrisonburg, VA. My hippy friends lived on High St. and the 2 houses rented by a group of friends was labeled the 'compound' - many a keystone lights were cracked at the compound. sitting outside on nice spring days in the mountains enjoying the scenery and change of weather, shooting the ****, listening to grateful dead.

i dont ever drink keystone light anymore but when i see someone drinking it my first thoughts are of that time and place.

good times.

nice thread.

Homer I take it you are part of the 21 drinking era. I am from the 18 yr old era nothing beat going to class on a Friday morning hung over ....25 cent drafts all night Thursday's

Quite so. My friend's sister got to enjoy the 18 drinking age though. But you just reminded me of the time that my friend and I drove to a trailer in town at lunch and helped empty the leftovers from a kegger that weekend. I had a glass or two and helped a girl with her accounting homework while her older boyfriend got high on a bong.

Biology was the class right after lunch and I had the best time. Just buzzed a bit.

haha. that is good, but why do you think things like this don't happen now?

haha. that is good, but why do you think things like this don't happen now?

I am sure it does but I was totally legal going into the bar. In fact I used to drink with a few of my teachers one was well rather hot we ended up doing some things that can't be discussed in the open forums .

I made it by 3weks before the age limit went up:ban:

CalicoJacks used to have .25cent drafts and the next morning was always rough @4am (wife/me were bakers), I could always scare the boss by saying I'm going to make a beer/hot wings flavor bread some morning:eek:

Going to my buddy Aj's house every weekend two summers ago and killing a 24 case of usually PBR. I was quite fat that summer :|. All we did was drink, eat, play some video games, and blast + sing metal and other assorted songs at the top of our lungs. Great stuff.

Best memory would have to be one of these:

1) Drinking with my dad in a tiny out of the way Biergarten in Augsburg, Germany.

2) Drinking with my friends at this tiny Irish pub in Dublin.

College memory involving Mickey's (big surprise there!)

Mickey's was our "go to" beer my first couple of years in school, whether it was by the six-pack or the quart ("Q"). One day, one of my friends saw a picture in the local paper of an older gentleman doing some sport. The caption read "Life began when he turned 80." That night, my friend shows up with a box in his hands and a ****-eating grin on his face. The box contained 40 oz. bottles of Mickey's and he proclaimed that "by drinking 2 we can be 80..." This, of course, happened several times over the course of our matriculation...:D

Going to my buddy Aj's house every weekend two summers ago and killing a 24 case of usually PBR. I was quite fat that summer :|. All we did was drink, eat, play some video games, and blast + sing metal and other assorted songs at the top of our lungs. Great stuff.

Here is a picture of us drinking at a bar in chicago when we were still underage :rockin:
n517337676_1400573_9694.jpg

Best beer memory for me is in the DR while I was studying there. I was staying 5 blocks from the sea, so I would go out at night and buy one of the big bottles of Presidente or Brahma and just sit on the Malecón (kind of like a boardwalk, but more like a sidewalk that happens to be right on the sea.) Probably not the safest thing ever, but man... that was beautiful.

Mine would have to be 4 steel reserves and hugging a toilet :D

for me it is a tie between sipping on an Old Rasputin during the winter and a crisp hefeweizen during the summer.

These are great stories guys.

Someone mentioned a paper bag they found with some Michelob in it. That totally reminds me of a time when I was a kid riding my bike around with friends. Maybe 14 at the time and we found a few bags of Old English Malt Beer at a construction site. That stuff was sooo skunked, but it was free! :p

I also remember a trip down to Omaha, NE. We didn't get Fat Tire here in Fargo till about 2 or 3 years ago, so a buddy and I were down in NE for a wedding. We saw they had it and we packed the car full of 14 cases and drove it 12 hours back.

Drank that stuff for 3 months straight!

Good stories guys. Some people have commented on my original article posting on my blog as well if your curious about those as well.

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Beer Memories | Mike's Brew Review

Sitting in a bar on Rush street listening to my friends play music.
Just sitting and drinking a few.

Back