Citra APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 38.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5
Tasting Notes: Will update

4.50 KG 2-Row Pale Malt
0.50 KG Munich Malt (10l)
0.25 KG Crystal 40l
0.10 KG Carafoam

15 g Citra 60 Minutes
15 g Citra 30 Minutes
15 g Citra 15 Minutes
15 g Citra 0 minutes
15 g Citra 5 days Dry hop

Got a half pound of Citra from fresh hop a few weeks ago and thought I'd try 'em out by them selves to get a handle on how they taste and where they work best.

We don't get Torpedo up here so I only know what I've read. Wanted to keep the grain bill simple to let the hops shine through. (Also keep the math simple for me.:p). Not trying to make a big hop bomb just a nice session APA with the Citra hops forward.

All numbers are BeerSmith estimates. Brewing it tomorrow.

Rudeboy

Hey let us know how the all citra goes in this one, I love torpedo.

And not to be a jerk, sorry if it comes off that way, but recipes should probably stay in the recipes forum until its brewed and is a consistant winner in your mind. sounds great though.

4.50 KG 2-Row Pale Malt
0.50 KG Munich Malt (10l)
0.25 KG Crystal 40l
0.10 KG Carafoam

15 g Citra 60 Minutes
15 g Citra 30 Minutes
15 g Citra 15 Minutes
15 g Citra 0 minutes
15 g Citra 5 days Dry hop
Rudeboy

A few months back I brewed an APA close to this recipe. Mine used Maris for base malt, .50lb 40L and .50lb red wheat instead of the carafoam.

Have you ever ridden a unicorn into a rainbow while hi-fiving Jesus? Mine turned out a lot like that. You will be pleased with the end product.

Citra was 11.0% AA Whole hops from FreshHops.

Weeeelll. It's OK. I don't know if I'd make this recipe again. The Citra is interesting but it's not like it's going to replace Cascade as my go to American hop. Too one dimensional.

I think I'll use it again but in conjunction with other hops, maybe in an American IPA. Simcoe for the Dank/Onion and Amerillo for the Blackberry, something for the pine and Citra for the Citrus.

The citrus is so overpowering it almost tastes fake, like a citrus fun dip.

Philrose Sorry to post on a speculative recipe I just thought people might be interested in a "new" hop. But you're right I could have just put this in the recipe forums.

Humman Brewing: "looks good, what you looking to get out of the carafoam?"

Foam ;)

Seriously head retention, body, mouthfeel. Thought it might be a little thin need just a pinch of shoring up on that end. Just a theory.

Rudeboy

Thanks for posting your results rude, gives me an idea of what to expect from the untouched pound of citra in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back