Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_2801%20copy-XL.jpg

Dog: 1
Human: 0

I have friends with itty bitty dogs and they tell me their dog problems. I keep thinking, "That's your problem? You have no idea. Show me an arm dog that busted out of its crate."

I'll have to find a permanent spot for this thing and zip tie it together.

Carefull with just reinforcing the cage- I had one of these and we spent 6 months crate training my 90lb husky/lab mix until he was good in it-

Then I left a few hours one day and came back to shards of his teeth laying all over- he freaked and tried to chew his way out-

After that, we made him an outdoor dog while we were gone for more than an hour or two.

Carefull with just reinforcing the cage- I had one of these and we spent 6 months crate training my 90lb husky/lab mix until he was good in it-

Then I left a few hours one day and came back to shards of his teeth laying all over- he freaked and tried to chew his way out-

After that, we made him an outdoor dog while we were gone for more than an hour or two.

Thank you for the advice. I was only planning to have him in it when it was really cold outside and we weren't home.

Strangely enough, I haven't had to worry about it since that post. A summary of our winter: mild temperatures until christmas. 2 feet of snow in a week. Incredibly cold for two weeks. Then mild and dry since mid-January. Today's forecast is 62F.

I should probably set it up and have him snooze in it while I'm working from home on Fridays so that he gets more comfortable with it.

So my 15 year old Bernese Wally is starting to wind down. He spends every race weekend with us and has been voted on the internet forums to be a more viable team captain than I am. He was a senior adoption for me at at 12 and we only planned to give him one good last year.

My furry family has surprisingly become a geriatric one. My youngest is 7 and with 225 # of fluf in the house, I have decided to adopt another senior giant breed or at least foster one.

My intentions are completely selfish but oddly honorably. Seinors are impossible to adopt and giant breeds are very difficult to adopt. Combine the two and...

I am on file with a lot of agencies and cleared for all but the Great Pyrenees Rescue of IL because a portion of my fence is not 6' (I already have a Pyr mix).

If anyone runs across a Bernese, Pyr, Newfie or similar senior in need of a home, let me know.

Ozzy surveying the yard from the top of our gardening table. He likes to jump up there and snooze in the sun.

Great dog, but a pita on leash. When he's not zig zagging to smell everything he's pulling. No matter what I've tried I can't get him to walk nice.

View attachment 254313

http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

Have you tried something like this? We had to get one for our Rott. That dog could pull a disk harrower.

Gentle Leader didn't work at all on my dog. He would pull hard and drag his face on the ground trying to get the nose strap off.

We went with an Ecollar and trained him with stim and treats to heel without a leash, then put the leash back on slowly.

I can tell you for sure the Ecollar saved my dog's life he was a nightmare before. We spent a year and thousands of $$$ in training and it wasn't until he realized we could reach out and "touch" him that he figured out how to behave. Now he's better trained than almost any pet dog ( hunting and pro trained dogs aside).

When my wife walks KB, she uses a head collar. They all hate it and try to rub it off on the ground or paw it off. If you have it adjusted right, they can't get it off and they eventually learn to just deal with it. When I walk him we used a harness that has the leash attachment at his chest. If he pulls with that, it turns him towards me and he can't get leverage. He's learned now to respond to a tug on the leach and stop pulling so even just walking him with a collar isn't an issue, but the chest harness comes in handy when we encounter ducks or some other irresistible stimulus. Beats electroshock therapy.

Most of the pack.

1397458_10204237942860682_2016696089097136813_o.jpg

Wow.... Where did you get the Akita....... Beautiful Dog!!!!!

I had a buddy 20 years ago that had an Akita roaming around in his Bike Shop... He was absolutely the best looking animal I have ever seen..... the Akita, I mean..... threw that in for clarification!!!!!

So my 15 year old Bernese Wally is starting to wind down. He spends every race weekend with us and has been voted on the internet forums to be a more viable team captain than I am. He was a senior adoption for me at at 12 and we only planned to give him one good last year.

My furry family has surprisingly become a geriatric one. My youngest is 7 and with 225 # of fluf in the house, I have decided to adopt another senior giant breed or at least foster one.

My intentions are completely selfish but oddly honorably. Seinors are impossible to adopt and giant breeds are very difficult to adopt. Combine the two and...

I am on file with a lot of agencies and cleared for all but the Great Pyrenees Rescue of IL because a portion of my fence is not 6' (I already have a Pyr mix).

If anyone runs across a Bernese, Pyr, Newfie or similar senior in need of a home, let me know.
Going to look at this girl next week if I am on furlough due to the Oil Workers strike.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/31284124/

Never had a Mastiff but my relatives have had a string of Bull Mastiffs over the last 25 years and outside of training them not bark randomly, them seemed great companions.

I love your idea. I'd love to adopt senior large breeds when I retire. I bet it gets expensive, though.

Have you tried something like this? We had to get one for our Rott. That dog could pull a disk harrower.
I tried training, harnesses, and Gentleleader. My dog would dive to the ground and unclip the GL. I ended up with a pinch collar. When properly used, it was effective and not at all abusive.

I love your idea. I'd love to adopt senior large breeds when I retire. I bet it gets expensive, though.

I tried training, harnesses, and Gentleleader. My dog would dive to the ground and unclip the GL. I ended up with a pinch collar. When properly used, it was effective and not at all abusive.

Actually the senior thing is not as expensive as many think but it take a different mindset. "Heroic" measures are normally off the table and you are mostly managing the day-to-day and slow decline we all face eventually.

Our Husky required a pinch collar and I am all for them if the owner knows how to use it. The only two problems we ever had were that the (ex)wife and I were the only ones that could walk her because of this and people assumed she was vicious dog because of that collar.

I haven't yet, but I may. I normally use a martingale with him. He's generally a very friendly dog, but if he meets another dog and they give off any aggression it's on so having a collar that gives me control without risk of hurting him is important. Where is the pressure point on these?

Gentle Leader didn't work at all on my dog. He would pull hard and drag his face on the ground trying to get the nose strap off.

We went with an Ecollar and trained him with stim and treats to heel without a leash, then put the leash back on slowly.

I can tell you for sure the Ecollar saved my dog's life he was a nightmare before. We spent a year and thousands of $$$ in training and it wasn't until he realized we could reach out and "touch" him that he figured out how to behave. Now he's better trained than almost any pet dog ( hunting and pro trained dogs aside).

I've thought about an ecollar, but there are no trainers around here that I'd trust that train with them. I'm friends with a guy who uses one with his lab/boxer mix with great results but the trainer he used is up in Oregon and has a long waiting list as they mostly do birding dogs.

I haven't yet, but I may. I normally use a martingale with him. He's generally a very friendly dog, but if he meets another dog and they give off any aggression it's on so having a collar that gives me control without risk of hurting him is important. Where is the pressure point on these?

I've thought about an ecollar, but there are no trainers around here that I'd trust that train with them. I'm friends with a guy who uses one with his lab/boxer mix with great results but the trainer he used is up in Oregon and has a long waiting list as they mostly do birding dogs.

I think most any dog has an issue when its leashed around other dogs.

They'll feel out of control because , well, they are.

I've been considering an ecollar to keep mine in the yard. He's doing well with all the snow but once spring hits...

The Garmin e collar we use on our lab wheaton mix has been the best thing we ever did for her. It beeps, vibrates and shocks so we use the beep like a clicker, the vibration is a warning, and the shock is a correction. Rarely do we have to go farther than a vibration anymore. Half the time just putting the collar on her calms her down, we've forgotten to charge it a couple times but just picking up the remote convinces her to make better choices.

Have been considering using one to break Dixie from raising so much hell at the front door when guests arrive. She has that ominous big vicious dog bark and it tends to scare the home health aides that I have coming all the time lately. Don't want to break her spirit or stop her completely but when we tell her enough she needs to stop and not continue to threaten. I have just caught back up on this thread and like the different options because a buzz before a shock is much more referable to me. I just have a real issue with shocking her because she is so sensitive to me and my needs. I got her as a Service Dog and we have completely bonded so if I am having a bad day she senses it and becomes even more protective which tends to make her do the vicious bark. Once the guest is inside the house she immediately loses interest in them and goes back outside to patrol her domain. Just that initial greeting and allowing invited visitor in is the issue I have been working on to break the habit. Thanks for a bunch of great ideas and some possible resolutions to getting her trained to hush when told to do so. She is a full blooded and very smart German Shepherd and is headstrong and willful because she is still quite young at only 3 1/2 years old. Sorry to chime in so late, but been doing life on life's terms lately and it has kept me super busy since I fell and broke my hip. Finally just about over that, since I fell in Oct all that is left is pain and regaining muscle strength I lost from being bedridden for a long while.

Wheelchair Bob

Nothing is better than a happy animal...not even beer.

I call BULL****..... Nothing is better than beer, a happy dog is just icing on a great cake!!!! And like Forest says "life is all about good times and happy dogs" (just made that up, but said in true Forest Gump fashion).

Back