So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I got the “I thought you were only going to brew once a month.” So I guess I’m shut down for this weekend. :(

Well I finally made my very first extract beer today and I would have to say it went surprisingly well. At least I learned what the hot break is and what it looks like. I did the cold water bath in the sink and I was surprised at how fast I got it cooled. What does the cold break look like? My Brew Kettle cool down to 76 degrees in about 15 minutes. I have no idea what the cold break looks like but if I had to describe what my Wort look like when it was chill down it almost look like a brownish color cottage cheese suspended in the liquid. I was anticipating maybe having to pitch yeast tomorrow after the temperature got right but it all went well and I pitched the lease after I hit it with oxygen and I rehydrated the yeast and then pitched and put the lid on the bucket

They guys and myself brewed a nice stout. First full boil in my new keggle.
Good times, it’s going to be hard to wait for it to be ready.

Brewing for the 3rd weekend in a row this Sat. Trying to get a good pipeline going, which is a challenge when you brew 2.5 gallon batches!

But hey, I find it to be a fun way to spend a Saturday morning / afternoon :)

So can you explain to me what the cold break looks like?

This is cold break at the bottom of a boil kettle:

coldtrub1.jpg

This is cold break that made it into the fermentor:

P1040816.JPG

Rule o' thumb: hot break floats in the boil, cold break congeals when chilled (with the help of irish moss or equivalent) and kinda/sorta tries to sink...

Cheers!

After a two week rest break I hope to brew twice this week while at home on a stay-cation. My brother can't brew til Tuesday and I will do a solo session Friday.

Tuesday's batch is going to be an Irish red and Friday's will be a dark mild. I mean, I have two fermenters free right???

Mashing on an emergency brew of the House IPA. The one fermenting now has a horrible stressed yeast taste (maybe pitched too hot) and I'm pissed at myself. At least I have enough grain (and time) to try to rectify it by brewing it right this time. But all those wasted delicious Mosaic hops....dammit. Husband is going to give me crap for it but I don't care.

Brewing a 5 gallon PM Rogue hazlenut clone. Wearing a beer apron my kids got me, and kicked eceryone out of the kitchen, even my mother in law. Now if I can make this monthly like before, Im set.

E93E6466-E50C-4FDB-A6F3-33329FF7CAE6.jpeg
Back at it again. I'll probably have a big stash after brewing 3 weekends in a row so maybe I'll take a break... Prob not though I'm having fun :)

Kegged my Sorachi Ace Kolsch (Ace in my Pants...defnlicious!), added cherries from a friend's tree to one carboy of my sour project for a buddy's wedding, and brewed an American Wheat with the Kolsch yeast. Don't Touch My Willie, in honor of Willie's 85th birthday and just in time to vicariously join Willie's annual 4th of July picnic [emoji482]
IMG_20180617_132400.jpeg
IMG_20180617_170654.jpeg
IMG_20180617_172818.jpeg
IMG_20180618_122306.jpeg

tbh I don't know wth I'm brewing this weekend but I'm spinning up my two favorite neipa strains so I reckon that's where I'm heading.
I do know I have a fresh pound of Galaxy that's itching to get used :D

starters_20jun2018.jpg

[I need to stop using my old GS4 for pics. Gawdawful!]

Cheers!

Brewing this weekend! And transfering 2 batches of beer around to kegs gonna be busy ,gonna brew my "goto" kolsch from northernbrewer, gonna let that lager all summer for labor day/ fall brewing sessions, and I came up with a recipe based around a golden ale that I'm hoping to have orange and citrus notes on the finish. But well see... the kolsch and golden ale will fill up my last 2 of 6 kegs for the summer. Maybe in a few weeks while I wait for my kegs to drain! I may do a dubbel that I'll bottle for winter time

Last edited:
Well, Homebrew USA has closed near me. That was the only store within 45 minutes. The other
is about 45 minutes to an hour away, and I know nothing about them yet. Not willing to drive
that far quite yet.

SO...I'm left with brewing my off-hand sort of stuff. Haven't done ginger beer lately, so I might
get some of that going soon. This weekend, though - I currently have 1/2 gallon of coffee wine
brewing and 1/4 gallon of mint wine brewing. Gave them a small taste this morning, and I'm
looking at doing a whole gallon of mint wine. That's some good stuff.

I was planning on testing a tarragon wine...licorice flavor...but turns out tarragon has a chemical
that can cause cancer is large amounts. Maybe not a safe choice. I might look at using anise, or
I might try one of the fall-backs I've been wanting to try for a long time: Cinnamon wine.

Going to brew a dark mild on Saturday because the last one (also the first one!) was too damn delicious! Using wlp007 in this because it's my go to British yeast strain.

Should I be this excited?? Lol

Big day Saturday...kegging an American light lager for Independence Day and brewing version 3 of a black lager recipe. I can’t wait to taste it in 3 months!

Mashing a BDSA at the moment. Never brewed one before so it should be a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it... next year. o_O

Ciderworks Oak Aged cider kit

Never tried this one before, great reviews, I'll post a review when it's drinkable [emoji481]

Last edited:
Going to brew a dark mild on Saturday because the last one (also the first one!) was too damn delicious! Using wlp007 in this because it's my go to British yeast strain.

Should I be this excited?? Lol

Heating strike water as I type this... Simple dark mild with:

7# 2-row
.5# caramunich
3oz black prinz
5oz chocolate

.75oz fuggles at 60 minutes
1oz EKG at 5 minutes

wlp007 (1L starter)

OG 1.040: FG 1.010
25 IBU's, srm 21, 4% abv

Last edited:
First try at Raging Red. LHBS didnt have Melanoiden malt, subbed Amber in a pinch. Could be more red during the mash... but good and clear in sight glass just above the RIMS tube. It'll be good beer. But still gotta try it with the right ingredients.
20180623_085905.jpeg
20180623_091439.jpeg

I brewed a very simple pale ale yesterday, using Voss Kveik yeast for the first time. Just American pale ale malt, a light touch of Dr Rudi (Australian) hops for bittering, and a generous amount Cascade for flavor and aroma. I forgot to dechlorinate the mash water; I did acidify it, and I dechlor'd the sparge water. (and I hadn't even started drinking yet) I didn't taste or smell any bandaids in the wort so hopefully I got away with it. I pitched the yeast last night, and there was a nice Krausen layer this morning.

I'm going to start 1 gallon of cider today, using T-58 because everybody says it sucks for cider. (that's also why I'm only doing a gallon)

Brewing Oktoberfest. I picked up what I thought was White Labs "Fest" Lager but upon further inspection when I got home it is actually Fast Lager. I have not used that one yet. I don't really care if its fast since I am not planning on tapping the beer until September 27th.

Back