Brew belt and glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So I bought a brew belt to keep my carboy warm in the colorado winter. Well I just found out that is not supposed to be used on glass. How meaningful is that warning, or is it not a problem?

I saw that, too! Luckily, before I bought one.

I wouldn't risk it.

I can remember years ago, when I put a glass coffee pot, full of water, from a Bunn coffee machine, on an eye of my electric stove to boil some water.

Thankfully, I was standing right there when the pot first cracked, and was able to get it over the sink before the bottom let go.

Heating water through glass with an electric heating element...I'm a slow learner, but not that slow!!!

I'd suggest contacting the maker before taking the plunge, if no one here offers up a suitable horror story.

Pogo

I have one that I use on my buckets. It gets quite warm and I'd think that in a cold environment the differential temp might be enough to break/crack a glass carboy. I'd heed the warning, buy a bucket and rack the contents to the bucket if you need the brew belt... A bucket 13 bones.... a carboy... I think they are 35 now?? Easy choice.

Cheers

My carboys fits perfectly in buckets. Put carboy in bucket, fill bucket up with water, wrap belt around bucket benefit

I remember vaguely back in ThunderBay ON when I was young and dumb I used a brew belt on my Carboy and never had a problem but I may have just been lucky.

I've seen a similar concept that looks much like a heating pad that you wrap around the carboy...supposed to be glass safe.

Might give that a try.

I actually did use a heating pad around the carboy to bring up the temp.. most of all I keep a small heater in the closet I keep the primary and bottle in as a matter of fact. It does become quite a pain plugging and unplugging. It has a thermostat I just don't like leaving it on if I'm not around. carboy -> Bucket -> heat strap also sounds like a good idea.

Back