Specialty IPA: Belgian IPA Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP500
Yeast Starter
1 qt.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 46.5 %
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50%] (60 min)Hops 29.8 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (20 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00%] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.75 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 7.0 %

Mash this beer low and for around 2 hours to dry it out. I mashed at around 148. I dry hoped for two weeks with some Hallertauer and goldings. Did not measure the amount used for dry hoping just throw a hand full of each into secondary. Make sure to use Belgian malt for this beer as it does stand out even with the hops. Beer comes out very pale and cloudy, with a nice head that last until the last drop. One thing that this beer would benefit from is using a 2nd generation strain or even a third, to bring out the yeast flavor more.

I've been contemplating something along these lines - marrying my two favorite genres of beer: Belgian and IPA.

What was the yeast strain? How pronounced was the hop flavor and aroma? Did the yeast overpower the hops, vice versa, or was there a balance?

Questions, questions...

I've been contemplating something along these lines - marrying my two favorite genres of beer: Belgian and IPA.

What was the yeast strain? How pronounced was the hop flavor and aroma? Did the yeast overpower the hops, vice versa, or was there a balance?

Questions, questions...

The yeast I used was WL 500, its the strain chimay uses. The flavor was pretty well balanced, but the other version I did just higher OG seemed to have more yeast character. This was a really good beer and an easy drinker.

There's a competition about a year away for just belgian IPA's and I really want to win that sucker. Winner gets their recipe brewed and served at the brewpub. I may use this recipe as a starting point.

I think shortly down the road here, I am going to make a Belgian IPA and infect with Brett in secondary.

Iron Hill Brewery had a Belgian IPA at GABF that was the best of show IMO. MAN that was a tasty brew.

There's a competition about a year away for just belgian IPA's and I really want to win that sucker. Winner gets their recipe brewed and served at the brewpub. I may use this recipe as a starting point.

What competition is it, if you don't mind me asking? I really suggest sticking with the 50-50 grain bill, its really amazing how well it works in these beers.

So did you boil this for 90 or 60? Its has both listed. I am assuming it is 90 though on account of the high amount of pilsner malt.

Back