Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about accidental drowning?

Cheers!

haha, well a boilover is a true concern!

I just had it setup like that for the first brewday on the new system to see how i wanted to have the pump before i welded on a mount.

haha, well a boilover is a true concern!

I just had it setup like that for the first brewday on the new system to see how i wanted to have the pump before i welded on a mount.

You could make a sheet metal plate that is mounted over top of the pump with the sides bent down to form a drip cap preventing any liquid running back on the bottom side. This would protect the pump, but not prevent full cooling of the motor.

My set up...

DwdhUCp.jpg

6npSC9l.jpg

Yes but it's still sitting up against 212°F/100°C temps for an hour or more. I'd be afraid that will shorten its life.

It's not right against it though... it was just up there to get an idea - when i was using it, it was a few inches away. it may be 212 in the kettle, but within a few inches of the kettle, it's barely warm. So I have no fear :) Thanks though!

But, i did mount my old propane burner on it as well for the random brewing events i usually drag my stuff out to... so now i need to figure out where to mount the pump at...

but here it is, all complete.

0416152138_zpsyiy8wssr.jpg

You could make a sheet metal plate that is mounted over top of the pump with the sides bent down to form a drip cap preventing any liquid running back on the bottom side. This would protect the pump, but not prevent full cooling of the motor.

My pump covers. They work well.

Pump cover.jpg

bg9929, that is a very nice space you have there. I dig that hood above your kettles too. Are you going to hang your controller?

bg9929, that is a very nice space you have there. I dig that hood above your kettles too. Are you going to hang your controller?

Thanks. I want to hang the controller, but I am still working out how I want to do that. The around the brewery are all concrete foundation walls, that i don't want to drill into. The boards are just flimsy peg boards put up by the last owner, wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the panel.

This was the thread that i found the vent hood idea in:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=371453

Thanks. I want to hang the controller, but I am still working out how I want to do that. The around the brewery are all concrete foundation walls, that i don't want to drill into. The boards are just flimsy peg boards put up by the last owner, wouldn't be able to hold the weight of the panel.

This was the thread that i found the vent hood idea in:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=371453

Thanks for the link to the hood. Our basement is finished and has hardwood floors and I always spill water or wort on the floor. That keeps me brewing in the garage and I've never needed a hood, but it sure does look nice in your setup.

How do you like those Boil Coils? I'm guessing you went with the 4500's for your 15 gallon kettles?

I did go with the 4500s. So far I like them a lot, but have only used them twice. I started the hlt heating and went to mill my grain and the water was at temp when i got back. The boil was very strong much stronger than i had ever got on my old 5 gal turkey fryer propane setup. Did a real light blonde ale and no sign of them scorching it. I haven't used the water heater stick version so wouldnt know to say if they were better or not. I like the idea of plug and play they offered, didn't want to mess around with the wiring for that much power that close to water. Also figured the coil design would better distribute the heat.

Just ordered my controller from Jagger Bush today, hardwiring my pumps with switches tomorrow and installing my 15gal Boil Coil tomorrow. Will have pics of the final product soon. So pumped to be propane free!

My BEER brewing machine. Built this a long long time ago! I run 12 gallon batches back to back. She is a beer making monster!
Digital Watlow controlled electric HLT
Electric solenoid valve sparge system
Electric float switch controlled grant

I call it the "Set it and Forget it" system....All grain brewing the relaxing way.

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140818_163932_588.jpg

:confused:
Noticed you are using a domed false bottom on a flat kettle... I read that this was not recommended, though I really could not understand why. Does it work well?

Assuming the bottom of the kettle is flat and the edge of the bottom rests flush, they work great...

11111625_10206550115061336_4024022410211173119_o.jpg

Jaybird, care to expand on your setup? It intrigues me.

You bet.

Built it years and years ago. Digital HLT 5500 watt and a 1500 watt both running 240V in the HLT I have low water limits to protect the elements. 120 v Solenoid valves for HLT make up water. I do have a level switch in the HLT as well to stop the make up water at 6 gallons, with an override " momentary push button" so I can't overfill the HLT (again) LOL..
The Mash is a TIPPY DUMP and can be direct fired but I rarely ever do. It is bottom draining and of course I use a 15" reversed hinge false bottom and level 1 stand. The sparge is automated with adjustable float switches and another solenoid valve to keep the water level perfect when I fly sparge. I drain the MLT into a GRANT also float controlled to turn on and off my pump. I adjust flow speed and direction with 3 ball valves and I can direct flow anywhere in the system I choose. It is hard piped.
the Boil kettle is a jacketed keg and I use propane for the energy source. Lower side drain and Its jacketed so I can capture the heat on the sides of the kettle and heat from the bottom and the sides. Of course another Jaybird false bottom system in there as well. I do have a fan blowing into the boil kettle that I can turn on and off as needed for foam control. I can have 2 batches in the system at the same time brewing back to back to back batches and every batch only adds about 2 hours extra to the brew day. All this with 1 pump!
It has been called the set it and forget it system for a LONG LONG time. I can brew beer and still cook dinner and play with my kids. I just set the flow and walk away for an hour. Come back take 5 min to set the system for another process and walk away for another hour.
let me know if you have any questions. I say its been a work in progress but I have not added a single thing accept the HLT over flow button since I first fired it up. She just works. Brew days are relaxing with it that's for sure.

Cheers
Jay

I finally finished my 2.0 Brewery. Its a 10 gallon, single tier electric setup. PID controlled 5500w elements in the boil kettle and hot liqueur tank and a HERMS setup for the Mash Lauter Tun. Using 2 x Chugger pumps with the poly heads for transferring (upgrade to stainless eventually). Using 3 x 16 gallon SS Bayou Classic kettles. Put the system together myself but did purchase a DIY kit for the panel, too many pieces to get right. Its similar to a Kal clone, or at least inspired by that setup. I've brewed 3 batches so far and learned a few lessons, which isn't that unusual on a new setup (i think). I like to call it my 1/3 barrel Brewery, since measuring things is bbl is always better.

DSC00882.JPG

DSC00883.JPG

DSC00884.JPG

DSC00885.JPG

DSC00886.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00889.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

Mail cart to 10 gal gravity beer stand in 30 minutes... I progressed quickly from BIAB to gravity stand because I was having temperature control issues as I brew outside and in the cold, but could see going to single tier in the next year, don't really like having flame and hot water over my head and around the kids, but it worked great! Hodgepodge of different bits, but the best is that mash tun, only lost .6 degrees in 75 minutes with one stir (was almost full volume which helped).

IMG_20150509_122838.jpg

Back