Keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodeebryan

Reaction score
I am currently building a BK and a HLT. So far I have cut the tops of of the kegs and ready to add the fittings. I have the capability of welding or not for the bulk heads. Only planning adding a valve to each right now and thermometer and sight glass down the road. My question is is there a good thread i can read on building these? and Second question is What do i need in the bottom of both the BK and the HLt? False bottoms?, Mesh screens?, etc?
I Need to hurry up I plan on Brewing this weekend with them.

I am currently building a BK and a HLT. So far I have cut the tops of of the kegs and ready to add the fittings. I have the capability of welding or not for the bulk heads. Only planning adding a valve to each right now and thermometer and sight glass down the road. My question is is there a good thread i can read on building these? and Second question is What do i need in the bottom of both the BK and the HLt? False bottoms?, Mesh screens?, etc?
I Need to hurry up I plan on Brewing this weekend with them.

You could get away with using a ball valve only on the HLT, then add a dip tube later. I would strongly recommend using a dip tube on your BK from the start. You should only need a FB in the MT. I have been building 3 Keggles slowly and have finally got sightglass, thermometers, false bottom (on the MT) and dip tubes on them, but I used them as soon as i cut the tops off with minimal hardware. Check out Brew Hardware.com I ordered my sightglass/thermometer combos from Bobby, as well as a 30 plate chiller. Great site. Good luck!

Just to update. Keggles are ready. Bulkhead welded in (no leaks)! BK got a dip tube I made out of some 3/8 soft copper. Seems all good. Saturday I brew.....

Also going to starting to convert my first keggle, and I see you welded yours. I'm wondering is there advantages/disadvantages to doing welded vs. weldless. I have access to a full weld shop through a friend so if welding is fine I'll definitely go that route.

Also on the sightglass is there a recommended lenght? or height from the bottom, and I'm assuming it's primarily used to for volume measurement?

Thanks,
Troy.

amishbrews said:
Also going to starting to convert my first keggle, and I see you welded yours. I'm wondering is there advantages/disadvantages to doing welded vs. weldless. I have access to a full weld shop through a friend so if welding is fine I'll definitely go that route.

Also on the sightglass is there a recommended lenght? or height from the bottom, and I'm assuming it's primarily used to for volume measurement?

Thanks,
Troy.

As far as weld vs weldless I went with weld because I too have a friend that has a shop. I also thought the chances of developing a leak were far less with the bulkhead welded in as opposed to bolted in. Also it was a lot less expensive to pc. together the fittings myself rather than buying a weldless kit. All that said. It is my first keggle build and I have yet to use it. But seemed to make sense to me

If anyone cares. Brewed with the new keggles! No issues and a lot of fun! (1st all grain batch)

Back