Is it possible to replenish lost wort in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Stress

Reaction score
My friend and I brewed on Sunday. An AHS Double IPA, 10# LME + 1# corn sugar, pitched onto our previous brews yeast cake. SG 1.080+. Monday AM I woke up to find a Carboy Volcano, beer on the ceiling even. It's the next day, and it's still bubbling away, I'm not worried about the beer, but it looks like we lost almost a gallon of beer.

Is it possible to boil up some LME, DME or Corn Sugar in a gallon of water and add it to the fermenting primary?

Thanks!

You can certainly do this, but you risk changing the profile of the beer. If you just add extract and water, you will affect the hop profile considerably.

You would essentially be reducing bitterness and hop flavour / aroma by 20%.

I would just accept the loss, and learn from it.

+1 I blend and it will change your flavor profile considerably. This is why a bigger than needed fermenter is not a bad thing. More beer for the beer drinkers, lol.

I personally would rather have 4 gallons of "spot on" beer, that hit it's OG and IBU's than 5 gallons of something possibly watery...I know it seems like a lot, but believe me, once you start brewing and have a pipeline of beer going a little bit of loss here and there won't really matter.

I completely concur, unless you are planning on blending it down and brew with that in mind. I would take the hit on the loss this time and plan for the blow-off next time with a larger fermenter or something.

I completely concur, unless you are planning on blending it down and brew with that in mind. I would take the hit on the loss this time and plan for the blow-off next time with a larger fermenter or something.

You CAN'T concur with me, because I concured with you...circular concurring could be dangerous...if we concur at the same time, then our agreement may collide and civilization could end as we know it. ;)

I concur, Revvy.

atomic-explosion.jpg

:D

Revvy, that is what my lit fart looked like last night after a session of wheat beer, lol. Man did I make beer come out of peoples noses with that one, LOL.

Back