Farewell to a dear friend....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
15808-Jazzy.jpg

If this means giving up my man card, then you can have it....

My "Three Legged Hound" that I named my brewery after was put down yesterday, and this is my eulogy for her.

As many of you may know, My wife and I decided years ago that we were not going to have children, maybe that's why we became so attached to our dog, or maybe it was just her quiet, adoring disposition, I cannot be certain.

What I can be certain of is that she was amazingly loving, and amazingly loved. She was the closest thing to a child we will ever have, and I believe we were just as excited to see her when we got home as she was to see us!

No one that met Jazzy could help but fall in love with her, and without fail, complete strangers would walk up to her and bend over to pet her and tell My Wife and I what a beautiful dog she was. Those beautiful brown eyes of hers just sucked people in.

From time to time in her earlier years, she would run away from home. Every time she did, we would get a phone call, and when we arrived 2, 5 or 10 blocks away, she would be there, "smiling" at us, having made new friends and been fed, watered, pampered, hugged and loved for the short time she was there.

Jazzy never barked, she would YELP or whimper if she was distressed, but a simple "NO!" would quiet her. I have seen better trained dogs, but never a dog that listened and reacted, without any training like Jazzy. She always aimed to please.

My family has owned dogs in the past, and I considered them all "Pets" but this hound was much more of a loving companion than a pet. I always insisted to My Wife that "Jazzy is not a dog, she is a human wrapped in fur" I pointed this out on the way to the vet today. We laughed in between our tears, because it always seemed so true. She would play with our emotions, sometimes pretending to have a sore foot so she could get into the house, or even worse, ignoring one or both of us for a full DAY after we left her home on the weekend and had someone pop in to feed her and let her out for a quick walk on the reserve. She would actually play mind games with us and pretend she didn't see us because she was upset that she had been left alone for 48 hours... or just left behind while we were obviously having fun without her.

About 4 1/2 years ago, Jazzy started to chew on one of her rear legs, and the local vet in Narooma diagnosed it as a blood clot. We thought long and hard over whether to spend money on a 12 year old crossbreed hound, but we made the right decision. $1000 later we had a 3 legged hound that loved us just as much as before. I removed the stitches myself, and Jazzy got along very well on three legs. She was the object of much interest when we took her out, I remember one time in Bateman's Bay, when she was trotting along, and 3 little boys got down on hands and knees a few metres away to try to figure out where her other leg was as she trotted past.

Unfortunately, she was getting older, and slower. about 2 years ago she pretty much lost her hearing. She also started to grow fatty cysts that I repeatedly removed, but they kept coming back. Then about 4 months ago she started to become incontinent, and this continually worsened, causing great stress to My wife, myself and the carpeting.

Jazzy spent her last weekend down the coast with us in Narooma, she made it to the beach for one last (Very Slow, very stressful) Romp and tried so hard to be young again (like many of us)

But, time marches on, and Jazzy woke up today disoriented, unable to get out of her basket without help and looking as beaten down and tired as a nearly 18 year old (126 in human years) dog can look, she SO didn't want to go outside as it was raining, but could not be left in the house. My Wife rang me at work and said "It's time.. we have waited too long already" I agreed, and an appointment was made at the vet. I came home from work, gave her her last bath, fed her a meal of braised chops and when my wife got home we took her for her last trip to the vet. She definitely seemed to know what was happening, and walked under my desk, but came out when I called her. She was scared on the way to the vet, but once we were there, she just lay down, stared lovingly at my wife and I and didn't even jump when the needle pricked her skin.

I know this is long winded, and sappy, and I would never have imagined that I would get this attached to a dog.. but then Jazzy wasn't a dog, she was a loving companion...wrapped in fur.

God Bless you my faithful hound, I'm sure your leg is waiting for you on the other side, have fun chasing the Wallabies, and we will meet you again one day on the other side.

I need a Scotch.....

That was beautiful Pete. Just beautiful. Jazzy couldn't have had a better eulogy. Now I need a scotch too. And your man card.

OK I'm just kidding about the man card, you can keep it.

Thanks mate, It's actually getting a bit worse before it gets better :( Jazzy used to lay at my feet every night when I was online here.... and every time I move I expect to accidentally kick her, like I have done for so many years. We have a huge house and it was empty enough with just the 3 of us. Now it's REALLY empty...

I do know how you feel. It is going to get worse before it gets better. However, it IS going to get better. Just not today and probably not for awhile.

i am so sorry for your loss. I too have had to put a beloved pet down and it is the most awful heart wrenching feeling. Your post was beautiful and it made me cry.
She was lucky to have you and your wife.

My thoughts are with you.

I know how you feel too Pete. We had to put our dog to sleep back in Jan and I am just now getting to the point where I can think about looking for a new pet. It does get better, just takes time. I still check the floor next to my bed when I get up some mornings thinking I might step on old Bambino where he used to lay at night.

Sorry to hear about Jazzy. I hope you have some pictures that you can keep her memory with you forever. No man card confiscation is necessary.

Sorry for your loss. I'll raise a glass for Jazzy this evening. I've got kids, but I'll be crying when it's time for my Schnauzer to go.

Sorry for your loss. That's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog.

No need to give up your man card -- I think it takes a real man to let his guard down and become attached to an animal, to see them as more than "just a pet".

I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you did the right thing for Jazzy. Sounds like she lived a great life and left a lasting impression on you.

And, if your man card is being revoked, I'll have to turn mine in too. I have to admit that your story brought a tear to my eye. I have an aging hound that I love to death and know that I'll have to make the same decision for him some day. I'm sure it was a tough thing to do.

What a great, beautifully written eulogy to Jazzy. Made me misty as well. She lived a very full life and those memories are something you'll always have. I'm sorry for your loss and the emptiness you're feeling now. I'll hoist a pint in honor of Jazzy tonight.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. That was a very touching eulogy. It will get better. Just try to keep your mind on the good times and remember that you did what was best for her.

That was really touching. Brought a tear to my eye even though I've never met your pup---from the sounds of it, she had a very similar temperament to Sadie. Just a sweet, loving dog who just loves life. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'll raise a pint to her tonight for you. Cheers to her, and cheers to you and your wife for being so damned brave. My stomach just churns at even the thought of having to do that to ours, but all things must pass. Cheers, brother.

You just broke my freaking heart with that story.

I never want to know how you are feeling, but I know one day I will.

You did the right thing man. Nothings as heartbreaking as looking at a loved one in pain. I'm sorry for your loss but as others have said she's in a better place.

Cheers

Thank you all SO much. I can't say much more about Jazzy, other than I'm sure she's thanking you for you kind words and the pints hoisted in her honour. I'll try to find a better picture, but this one is about 5 years old.

15808-Jazzy.jpg

It is relationships like the one you shared with Jazzy that make life worth living and bring out the best in all of us.

Godspeed, Jazzy. Say hi to George when you get there.

Sorry for your loss, my sisters dog died teusday night with Pancriatic cancer and had to help her with him, Its sad rather its your dog or not I feel for you.

Man, I hope no one walks into my office now, or I be losing my man-card. So sorry for your loss. My wife and I have three kids: two cats and a dog. Cant imagine how hard it must be for you. I will be drinking a glass of Scotch tonight in honor of Jazzy.

My deepest condolences. We raise Goldens and rescue Newfs with special needs. We have to say good bye too often so we know what you are feeling.

In my opinion you get a double man card for this. You had the strength to give her the final gift by setting her free. She will be with you forever sir.

I shall have a dram in her honor.

Doug

Hey man, very sorry to hear about Jazzy. As you can see from my screen name, I am very attached to my dog.

My parents just had to put down their 16 year old friend, and are having a tough time. It really made me look at my 10 year old black lab, Lucy, and think about the future. She's been with me through a lot and it's tough to think about not having her around.

Tonight when I crack a homebrew, I'll tip a glass to Jazzy.

My condolences. I'm fighting the watery eyes as my 8 year old golden retriever relaxes next to me as I type. It's going to be hard when he goes. I feel for you.

I think a new puppy will help (maybe not with the carpet and furniture;) )

Also, what about a high gravity Jazzy Barleywine or something else that could age until Jazzy's birthday or a day you choose to celebrate his time on earth?

Good luck to you and your wife.

Terribly sorry for your loss of Jazzy.

Happy for the joy she gave you all these years.

Doubly happy for the joy and love she must have felt in your home.

It’s early, but rest assured, there’s another life-long pal waiting for you out there…when you’re ready. Jazzy would want it that way.

Oh…and you owe me a new keyboard. Mine shorted out whilst reading your post.

Cheers Jazzy. :mug:

Thanks for the post. I had to put down TWO dogs within six months about five years ago and one of my greyhounds died in January. I hope you plan on getting another dog in a couple months. They can never be replacements, but each will grow a new place in your heart.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Jazzy. Your post had me crying, Pete. Time will bring some relief to the void she's left behind...Take care. I'll lift my glass to Jazzy tonight.

Back