WTH is it with Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westerntrout

Reaction score
why are so many US brewers so fascinated with cascade (or similiar) hops? an ESB.... with overwhelming cascade aroma? WTH? every 6er i buy is a gamble that any subtlety will be negated by the unique grapefruitiness of cascade. not completely anti cascade, a top note with some willamette is nice, but really! next i expect to find a cascade version of a pilsener. i guess i can rightfully expect it in an APA but it seems like the only hop that some brewers have available. a cascade stout, you betcha!, how about a fine brown porter, lets break out the cascade! against all the laws of nature in a bitter. how about an octobercade? hmmm. tasty!

kinda poking a bit of fun but it does appear that there is a lack of imagination sometimes.

im not from the US and cascade is by far my favourite hop to use for homebrewing. it is that cascade nose that i love. i wouldn't try it in a pilsner though or a stout.

I just got two pounds of it yesterday.... :D

Any brewer that's making an "American" version of a style, Cascade's pretty much synonymous with that. I think you may be overstating its overuse a LITTLE bit, though...

I'm not really a big cascade fan, either. It seems like every American craft brew has a generous amount of cascade in it. For me, it gets old buy all these different kinds of beer and getting that cascade aroma with a huge number of IBU's. All the different craft beers I have tried all kind of blend together into cascadeness.

It's a good hop, I just think its oerused a little.

Cascade_Dishwasher_Detergent_-_All_Varieties-resized200.jpg

Don't you love the way it gets your dishes nice and clean?

I'm with you. I've used thme a decent amount, and I used a LOT of them on a recent pale...in comparing it with the Simcoes though-I think I like the Simcoes a lot better. They are a bit less fruity than Cascades, and have more of a cat-pi$$ taste/smell....for some reason I like that better.

Cascade is a very good and versatile hop. I agree that in some cases it is misused (e.g. dryhopped ESB), but it should be used frequently for American ales. Centennial is another awesome American "C" hop. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I don't know, I think it gives me an advantage because everyone else has "sierra envy" (yes I do have a "sorta sierra" session beer going for SWMBO)
It gives me an advantage to use different hops and come up with a more unique flavor.
Cascade is good though. That is part of the problem(if it is a problem).

Cheesefood said:
Cascade_Dishwasher_Detergent_-_All_Varieties-resized200.jpg

Don't you love the way it gets your dishes nice and clean?

LOL Cheese!

I have 3 lbs of cascade that I picked in August. I love it! (especially with the hop situation) I am drinking an all cascade IPA and IMO, it's really good. Nice and grapefruity. I also used it in 10 gal of EW haus ale that's in secondary and in the holiday spice that's conditioning in bottles.

With just under 2 lbs left, I'll be using it some more. Unless someone here would like to trade me for 1/2 lb of a whole British hop! :D

I've also run into over-hopped ESBs and over-hopped just about anything you can name. Cascade is the signature hop of the PNW and too many craft brew drinkers are convinced that without that nose, it isn't really craft beer. It's too easy for people to lock into one element of anything and that's what has happened with Cascades and IPAs. As noted, we will be smelling a lot less of it in the coming year. Maybe this will force hop heads to learn about other styles & hops, but I doubt it.

Nothing wrong with loving Cascades, but please leave the bitters, malty brews, etc. alone!

westerntrout said:
why are so many US brewers so fascinated with cascade (or similiar) hops? an ESB.... with overwhelming cascade aroma? WTH? every 6er i buy is a gamble that any subtlety will be negated by the unique grapefruitiness of cascade. not completely anti cascade, a top note with some willamette is nice, but really! next i expect to find a cascade version of a pilsener. i guess i can rightfully expect it in an APA but it seems like the only hop that some brewers have available. a cascade stout, you betcha!, how about a fine brown porter, lets break out the cascade! against all the laws of nature in a bitter. how about an octobercade? hmmm. tasty!

kinda poking a bit of fun but it does appear that there is a lack of imagination sometimes.

I almost started this exact thread a few weeks back, buttttt was a little worried about the flack I'd get.

Cascade is good, but over used. Stick it in an APA, but that's it.

Even though I don't know much about ESB's, thought it might be useful to include part of the BJCP guidelines for ESB's (Style 8C):

Aroma: Hop aroma moderately-high to moderately-low, and can use
any variety of hops although UK hops are most traditional. Medium to
medium-high malt aroma, often with a low to moderately strong
caramel component (although this character will be more subtle in paler
versions). Medium-low to medium-high fruity esters. Generally no
diacetyl, although very low levels are allowed. May have light,
secondary notes of sulfur and/or alcohol in some examples (optional).

Flavor: Medium-high to medium bitterness with supporting malt
flavors evident. Normally has a moderately low to somewhat strong
caramelly malt sweetness. Hop flavor moderate to moderately high
(any variety, although earthy, resiny, and/or floral UK hops are most
traditional). Hop bitterness and flavor should be noticeable, but should
not totally dominate malt flavors. May have low levels of secondary
malt flavors (e.g., nutty, biscuity) adding complexity. Moderately-low
to high fruity esters. Optionally may have low amounts of alcohol, and
up to a moderate minerally/sulfury flavor. Medium-dry to dry finish
(particularly if sulfate water is used). Generally no diacetyl, although
very low levels are allowed.

Overall Impression: An average-strength to moderately-strong
English ale. The balance may be fairly even between malt and hops to
somewhat bitter. Drinkability is a critical component of the style;
emphasis is still on the bittering hop addition as opposed to the
aggressive middle and late hopping seen in American ales. A rather
broad style that allows for considerable interpretation by the brewer.

Cascade works decently well in an American robust porter, but I'd stick to English hops for a brown porter.

I threw in a “pinch” of cascade at flameout on my Boulevard Wheat clone and people (BMC drinkers included) went bonkers over this beer.

I think some cascade helps to “summer-ize” a beer that needs a little spark at the end. Nobody used the term “grapefruit” to describe the flavor. They just kept referring to it as “tasty” and “refreshing”.

Why is anything popular or a fad, it just kind of is. Personally I am not a big fan of any of the American C hops.

As for Cascade, if I wanted grapefruit juice I would just buy grapefruit juice (try the oaked arrogant bastard and you'll know what I mean).

I might brew an "American Bitter" at some point, maybe with the second runnings from the American Strong Ale I've started planning.

Actually, I think I'll call it an "American Biter"; I'll need a picture of Cheese's son for the label... :D

And another thing. What is it about all those English beers using EKG or if they are daring Fuggles? Don't they know there are lots of other hops out there to use?;)

GT

Love those Cascades!!!Use em in everything from our pilsner lagers to our wheat beers and everything in between.And we don't do "aroma' additions,strictly bittering(60 mins) and flavor(20mins).
Cheers:mug:

I hate Cascade and it's ugly Centennial friend.

I agree that it's over used, I've gotten some kits recently that used them exclusively and the flavour is the single biggest factor that makes me say "this isn't close".

I'me experimenting with my brews now, adding those hops in at 35 minutes rather than 60 (yes, I hate them that much) and subbing out varieties.

Last weekend my brother in law brought me a case of a local amber. I was so happy when I cracked it open and it was actually malty and not filled with cascade or overloaded with another American hop. I hope the hop shortage will make more breweries go down the malty road.

I love cascade, but I think some people go nuts with it. I think cascade's huge popularity comes from its versatility as bittering, flavoring, or finishing hop, and its versatility among styles. I've used cascade for everything from california common to imperial stout, but only when it matches the grain bill and the other hops.

BrewDey said:
I'm with you. I've used thme a decent amount, and I used a LOT of them on a recent pale...in comparing it with the Simcoes though-I think I like the Simcoes a lot better. They are a bit less fruity than Cascades, and have more of a cat-pi$$ taste/smell....for some reason I like that better.
you like cat piss flavor???

Back