Over Calculated water volume affecting flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok I posted here a few times about have my beers turn out really grainy tasting. It is really starting to drive me nuts. Anyways, I havent been really careful with water calculation on the last few batches and have actually be using the wrong equipment profile unknowingly. Anyways, were if I used the right profile I would have ended up with 5 gallons of finished wort, I end up with 6.5 with the one I was using. Thats an extra gallon and a half for a 5 gallon recipes. Now, is it possible that the extra amount of sparge water and mash water could be causing this grainy flavor? I batch sparge so I'm not sure if it will or not, but its the only thing I can think of that could be causing this. PS: It's driving me nuts.

scottyg354 said:
Anyone? Can this be the problem?

I am new as well but I do know you should be trying to hit your target OG. I have come up short repeatedly and just boil off any extra water till I hit my target. That said do you vorlauf? You might be getting grain particles and husks in your wort.

Latest posts

Back