Best way to store hops for about 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarkis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just placed an order with Northern Brewer for some hops for an all-grain English Barleywine I'll be doing in 2 weeks. Being that I need to store the hops for only two weeks, what would be the best way to keep them as fresh as possible?

I figured I would keep them in the airtight package they are being shipped in and keep'em in the fridge for the next two weeks and they should be fine. Would I be better off freezing them?

What about when I need to use them after being frozen for two weeks. Do I need to bring them to room temp or just put them frozen into the boil?

It's 2 weeks. why freeze them? they are stored in fridge at the store. Are you saying that is unsatisfactory? Seems to me you would be fine in the fridge for a couple more weeks.

Vman said:
How about using frozen hops to dry hop? Do they need to be thawed??

Nope. Just throw them in.

brewmadness said:
It's 2 weeks. why freeze them? they are stored in fridge at the store. Are you saying that is unsatisfactory? Seems to me you would be fine in the fridge for a couple more weeks.

For two weeks they're probably fine in the fridge, but the freezer is better and there's no reason not to keep them in the freezer. Also, I would bet northern brewer stores them in the freezer. My LHBS does.

Back