Batch 10 Journal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
The Pharmasave where I buy my kits has them on sale until the end of the month for $5 off. So far I have the fixings for a dark ale that I want to turn into a Christmas Winter Warmer, 2 Cooper's IPA's, a Cooper's Bitter and a Cooper's Pilsner. Going to crack off an IPA batch tonight, hopped up with some EKG for flavour.

Recipe:
1 can Cooper's IPA
1KG Munton's Beer Enhancer
1/2 oz. EKG 25 minutes
1/2 oz. EKG 10 minutes

Boiling hops in 3L of water brought up to a SG of 1.040 using the beer enhancer.

Going to top up to 20L and pitch the Cooper's IPA yeast and a pack of Cooper's that I didn't use with a Stout kit I'm about to bottle. Hop to put it on tonight.

Just put this one down, after a couple days of procrastinating/finding enough alone time. Smelled quite yummy! Pitched yeast at about 76*; maybe a little high, but the ambient in my basement is high 50's to low 60's, so it's gonna drop fast. Winter sleeping bag over the fermenter when it gets rocking to hold the heat in.

Three days in, sitting in the basement at 62* on the sticky. Maybe a little cool for the cooper's yeast? Might pick up a heat belt and timer today to throw on it.

Bottled tonight, finished up at 1.011-1.012 or so. Used I cup dextrose to batch prime the 20 L. Sample was delicious. Will be getting my next batch of this going tomorrow methinks. Timed my batches poorly, pipeline about dry. I need more bottles, lack of places to put the finished beer slows me down.

Just put down anotherr batch of this, with a half oz Willamette for 60 mins, and a 1/2 oz EKG for 15. Pitched a pack of Coopers ale along with the IPA yeast that came with the kit, at 66*. Blow off tube in place.

When last I checked the batch was bubbling away nicely. Obvious fermentation had started somewhere between 12 and 18 hours. Temp has been steady at 62 for 2 days now.

Bottled the second batch last night. Finished out at 1.012. Used a cup of corn sugar for carbonation. Sample was delicous, not as bitter, but also more hop flavour coming through.

It's not "IPA yeast,OS lager yeast,or English Bitter yeast". They all use the Cooper's 7g ale yeast packet. NB & midwest also carry the fresher Cooper's 15g ale yeast that I've used. It can be a beast rehydrated.
What's in the Muntons Brew Enhancer that y'all are using? Anything like Cooper's BE 1& 2? Those are just mixtures of dextrose & maltodextrin,BE2 being that & light DME. I used their plain light DME box at 500g,1lb being 454g.

It's from the brewmasters series, so it's supposed to be a style specific yeast. I've been adding a second 7g cooper's yeast, and it's been working well at my cooler temps.

The Munton's is supposed to be a mix of dextrose and DME, but I don't know the breakdown. Again, it seems like a decent product to me, less than half the price of a KG of dme for me.

The yeast is not style specific. Just ale or lager yeast generally speaking. So their IPA would use the eact same yeast as their English bitter or OS lager. Cooper's never had style specific yeast.

Back