Lager And Temperature Swing To Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
Woke up to find an ale about to blow it's airlock this morning while at 68°F so I needed to get it a little cooler. My only option was to remove an Oktoberfest from the fridge that was two weeks into lagering and replace it with the ale.

Poor planning on my part -- so to control my ale, I had to leave the Oktoberfest at room temp.

Is there any downside to letting the lager sit at room temp for a day or two until the ale dies down?

If its already two weeks in, it should be fine for a day or two but definitely get it back to lager temp. when you can.

The oktoberfest should actually benefit from doing this. If your lager has been going for two weeks it was probably time for Diacetyl rest anyways. Your beer will actually benefit from being at room temperature for a while, when fermentation is close to finishing up, to clean up the diacetyl, a byproduct of fermentation that produces a buttery taste and slick mouthfeel. The John Palmer book has a section online you can read, and you can search the forums for more info. I'd recommend it to learn more

Latest posts

Back