Autumn AMBER ALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
ok, here is my plan - need some feedback....
i am doing an autumn amber ale for midwest....
planning on 2 weeks primary / 1 week secondary / 2 weeks condition / 1 week cold condition

sound ok ?

thanks for the feed back -this is an extract kit

:)

M

Brewed this 2 weeks ago and is fermenting now. Do not secondary it... Waste of time for such a dark beer. Smells great by the way. All else seems good. IMO you should cut your extract additions and do half at 60min and the rest with 15min left. Without it I think the hops will be nonexistent.

thanks sully can you expand on this :"cut your extract additions and do half at 60min and the rest with 15min left."

thanks - confused

M

Gladly. The more malt in your wort, the less the hops get utilized. Think of it this way, if your 'water' is thicker, the less the hops can move around. If I recall, the recipe requires something like 6lbs of malt extract. If you add it all at once, your wort will be thicker and your hops buttering/ flavor/ aroma won't pop out as much in the finished product. If you split the wort addition, more hops will be utilized and your beer will be a bit hoppier in the end. I like hops in my beer, unless im having a stout in winter. I have started doing this in all my beers and they are coming out great compared to the former ones. If you search "split LME additions" on here you can find much more info. Goodluck!

Latest posts

Back