What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to cleaning 4 kegs that kicked probably 4 months ago. Just couldn't get motivated do it for some reason.

Slapped a blowoff tube on a pale ale that is really taking off. Took a gravity reading on a 12-month Kriek. 1.010... I really thought it'd be lower. Want to bottle but not sure what to do next.

interesting...are you using a pond pump to circulate glycol or water?

Pond pump in 5 gallon bucket circulating water when temp controller tells it to. Fans blowing on the trans cooler.

Glycol wouldn't help since the keezer temps are above freezing.

I have a thread on here in diy forum (on mobile/too drunk to link).

Checked gravity on a saison that's been still bubbling after 4 weeks -- tasting good. Also looked in on a pail of pale ale, that appears to have a pellicle the smell and appearance is of yeast, but gas is getting trapped under the film. This is an unintended result.

image.jpg

Hit my batch of Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer with a dose of gelatin now that it's kegged and chilled. Should be crystal clear by the time it's carbed.

Checked gravity on a saison that's been still bubbling after 4 weeks -- tasting good. Also looked in on a pail of pale ale, that appears to have a pellicle the smell and appearance is of yeast, but gas is getting trapped under the film. This is an unintended result.

Just looks like receding krausen to me, no slimy white bubbles. They're all clear. Looks ok to me?! :mug:

Just looks like receding krausen to me, no slimy white bubbles. They're all clear. Looks ok to me?! :mug:

Thanks for the opinion... It looks the color of yeast, which would be okay too. I used wlp080 the cream ale yeast which is a blend of lager and ale yeast. I took a sample it didn't taste sour or bitter, and for a very small sample was clear so I think it's okay. I might swirl the fermentor and see if it drops. Better yet I'll leave it be as it is only day 11. :)

Seeing as how it's day 11, just leaving it bee till it finishes & drops clear or slightly misty should turn out virtuous. Tinkered with fine tuning the scope set up on my new Winchester magnum air rifle. Mumme still conditioning...

Man, it seems like there is always something to do/tinker regarding beer!

This week I soaked/cleaned bottles, had to mop up about a gallon of Hefe that I found sitting in the bottom of my kegger due to a leak on the beer line (RIP, hefe!), bottled a jalapeno cream ale, cleaned and re-organized my beer closet, took inventory of my hops, did another boil off test on my new kettle, and bought grains for an upcoming porter.

With luck I'll actually be able to brew said porter on Sat!

Hooked up an stc-1000 temp control unit on a fridge for some random guy I didn't even know. Just because he was a home brewer.

Took a gravity reading on my Oktoberfest/Marzen. Down to 1.024, from 1.060 after 6 days, so raised the temp for a D-rest. Beersmith's FG estimate was 1.018, but hoping to get to at least 1.016 (I used WLP820, but after reading mixed reviews, not so sure it will get much lower than 1.018) Hoping to bottle this next weekend.

Now I'm heading to Raleigh Brewing Co. to have a beer in the tap room, and browse through Atlantic Brew Supply while I am there to see if there is any gadgetry I want to buy.

turned the temperature of the fermenter my Oktoberfest is in temperature up from 51 to 55 F. Posting pics of HB equipment I don't to craiglist

Racked my RIS to secondary for aging, brewed a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde with some added honey to boost the gravity I lost on poor efficiency.

Just finished kegging 10 gallons my attempt at a 4 Hands Reprise like beer. Dry hopped both with 3 ounces of centennial. Also kegged about 5 gallons of Apfelwein that is 8 months old. A mixture of patience and laziness has netted some pretty tasty wine. Can't wait to try it sparkling. Maybe tomorrow I can bottle the other 5 gallons that I'm going to leave still.

Nothing endearing. Bought a 7cf chest freezer. The temp controls been sitting in a cabinet above our fridge. I need to complete it then get this freezer a fermentation chamber. Way busy or lazy. Jury's out

I messed around with Beersmith, trying to get ready for my new electric brewing system. Had to change a bunch of settings and get into things I hadn't looked at in forever, or ever.

Back