Forgot to add the Priming sugar before racking to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I'm bottling today and totally forgot to add the priming sugar before racking to my bottling bucket. Is it OK to slowly pour it in and gently stir with a sanitized spoon?

Yeah, go ahead and sanitize your bottling bucket and all the equipment you use to bottle with. Put the priming sugar in the bottling bucket and then open up and pour each beer into the bucket and bottle as normal. Or you can get the amount of sugar you use, divide by how many bottles you have, open each bottle up, add that amount to each bottle, recap, then shake and store.

At this point, I'd just carefully pour it in. Sanitize a big stirring spoon are GENTLY stir making sure you don't create any turbulence that could oxidize the beer.

I think it'll be fine. The same thing happened to me once and the beer was great!

It's the only way I do it, don't trust the rack on top of the priming sugar concept. I want to ensure it's evenly mixed... Never had a problem yet

RHAHB and Enjoy :mug:

Toy4Rick

Close it up! Boil your priming sugar, cool it and mix gently. No splashing. Then bottle. Wait 3 weeks at 70F. Enjoys delicious beer! And send me some for testing!

It's the only way I do it, don't trust the rack on top of the priming sugar concept. I want to ensure it's evenly mixed... Never had a problem yet

RHAHB and Enjoy :mug:

Toy4Rick

I can promise you that racking on top of priming sugar mixes everything quite thoroughly. :D

What kind of beer is it? I hate bottling so much I'd call it a "English whatever" and say it is carbed as per the English style.

I would also say that racking on top of your sugar makes sure that it is evenly mixed and that there wont be a disproportionate amount of sugar per bottle.

Back