can I use a 2l flask to make make my 1l yeast starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Can i use a 2l flask to make a 1l yeast starter or is there 2 much headspace in a 2l for a 1l starter.I want to start making yeast starters and I see on some supply sites they have a 1l and a 2l and the 2l is only a few dollars more.Is it worth it buying the 2l. I do 5 gallon extract brewing .

The more head space the merrier when it comes to starters. A 2L should work perfectly for 1L starters. Howerver, before you buy an E-flask, you might consider using 1 gallon glass jugs instead. They are way cheaper and you can make bigger starters if needed. I use glass jugs myself with a stir plate and they work great.

Yes. 2L is probably the most common size flask used. Don't worry about the headspace as any oxygen in the starter will be used up by the yeast when you put it into your wort and the colony reproduces.

If you use foam control like fermcap (and I highly recommend it for starters) you can get up to about 1600 ml in your 2L flask with no problem. That covers most of your ales up to moderately high gravity.

Cheers

2L flasks for 1L starters are completely normal. Just buy the bigger one, you will need it eventually.

Can i use a 2l flask to make a 1l yeast starter or is there 2 much headspace in a 2l for a 1l starter.

I do it all the time with the air pump turned on 24/7.
Look at the picture

100_5203.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back