What extract kit beer to you keep around the most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenboy

Reaction score
I've become to NB's Caribou Slobber and plan to always have it around. I'm curious to hear extract kit brews do you guys/gals tend to keep pretty prevalent around your house--whether bottled or kegged?

Brewers Best Red Ale / lost count of how many times we've brewed it.

Northern Brewers Nut Brown Ale. I use it as a base for different additions:

Oatmeal
Molasses
Candied sugar
Different hops and hop schedules
Bourbon
Roasted oak chips
Honey

I also use the NB Multi-Grain and Irish Red with the same additions

Favorite to date is the NBA with oak chips and bourbon with 1oz of whole East Kent Goldings at flame out. Tasty Brew!

Well,I don't have one that I keep around in the usual sense,But I do use Cooper's OS Lager & OS draught as a bittered base for several other styles I like. And I'll def make more of the coopers International Series English bitter,with tweaks of course.
I just add different plain malts & hops to change it to what I want vs what you'd normally get from them. That's part of the fun to me. By this time next year,I should have a short list of ales I'll be keeping in stock.

I brewed a raspberry red ale from a Midwest kit. The real raspberries I substituted for the extract flavoring are so tart that this one will be around longer than any of the others since the others taste so good they are gone quickly.

Oh wait, that wasn't what you meant.

I quit buying kits when I found out that I could do all grain for little more investment than the difference in cost between the grain and the kit. By the second batch I was money ahead and hooked on all grain brewing via "brew in a bag" that I could do right in my kitchen. Now I get to experiment with more recipes and substitutions when I can't get exactly what I want. I've even had to duplicate one of the first where I used oatmeal instead of carapils since my lhbs didn't have carapils on hand when I stopped. I decided that I love the mouthfeel and the head retention the oatmeal gives and I don't care about the clarity of the beer, just the taste.

Back