Can't get rid of this sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etgales

Reaction score
Recently, after having let my 6 gal. glass carboy soak overnight in bleach-water, I found quite a lot of sediment at the bottom (and a good deal on the sides). A friend of mine suggested that it was hard-water calcification.

I have been unable to remove this sediment. I have used 1-Step, Iodophor, warm water, all with my carboy brush, and it seems to have little or no effect. I am currently trying phosphoric acid.

Any suggestions?

Do you have sediment or haze? If it is indeed calcium deposits and nothing else works, you could try a liquid coffee cleaner like Java Kleen and see if that helps.

My typical two-step process is to do a soak in oxyclean for a day, then rinse, then diluted vinegar soak for a few minutes. The vinegar soak takes away any scale or deposit that the oxyclean might leave.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, since I posted this, I checked my fermenter. The bottom is quite clear. Most of the stuff on the sides is gone, but that might require a bit more effort. Apparently, phosphoric acid works.

Back