3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used it for a lot of different IPAs, works well. Mosaic/Citra was going to be my next one. I bet Mosaic/Amarillo would be great also , or galaxy instead of Amarillo if you have it.

I have a batch of this fermenting right now. Brewed solely with citra but I was thinking of adding some mosaic to the dry hop. Anyone have any suggestions on what ratio of citra:mosaic to use?

Just had the first bottle of my second batch, it is easily my best beer so far however still not close to zombie dust. I can taste the citrus side of the hops however there is no real dankness(doubt thats a word haha) if you will. Followed all grain with the exception of dry hopping with 4 oz for 7 days, this was a 2.5 gal batch. Is everyone else getting that dank bitterness? I am brewing it again soon and am thinking of trying a 3-4 dry hop at end of primary and then also in secondary. I still really believe that there is another hop in it, or maybe the citra I got was lower AAU than normal?

I have a batch of this fermenting right now. Brewed solely with citra but I was thinking of adding some mosaic to the dry hop. Anyone have any suggestions on what ratio of citra:mosaic to use?

The grist is already at its tipping point for sweetness. The yeast and specialty malts really need the Citra to balance it all out.

Mosaic is a very sweet, tropical hop. If you do decide to use it, I would limit it to .75oz in the dry hop only (tops)

Made this with Pilsner malt since that's my on-hand base grain and used the 20 min addition as opposed to using a FWH (needed a 90 min boil with Pilsner malt). Awesome beer which tastes how I remember the 3 Floyd's draft tasting.

Ive brewed ZD a few times and I must say this last batch is almost spot on. Even had friends (fellow HB and craft beer drinkers) tell me it was pretty darn close. Biggest contributor I feel was 1968 yeast (I used to use 1056). Water was built up from scratch. I think next time I will cut my FWH addition in half and use the second portion for a 60 min addition, as I think it needs a smidge more bite. Other than that, aroma and flavor are amazing.

Recipe is same as OP but for 10 gal

I won the kit of this from the givaway a couple months ago.. it turned out great.. but it went from crystal clear to murky when i dry hopped.. im hoping the murkyness goes away. I dry hopped all 3 oz in a wilser dry hop sack with a stainless ball bearing that had been sanitized.

Hey this recipe calls for a 6 gal batch. Mine usually end up at about 5.25 gals after fermentation. Should the recipe still be followed or should I shave it down a little?

So what will this do to my beer? Other than less ibus will a 20 min boil affect anything else? Dammit I'm gonna have to reorder the ingredients and try again now. Can't believe I pulled such a noob move

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 154 F
60 min boil

***The FWH ibus were calculated based on a 20 min boil to more accurately calculate the perceived bitterness (you can set boil time on FWH on Beersmith)....If you do not make this change, your IBUs will probably show as being higher. The actual beer bitterness/flavor will not.

Uhhh well I don't understand then because the instructions show first wort hopping and he calculated his IBU's based off of 20 mins. Well crap I did a 20 min boil.....damn

It says 60min boil, and has a note regarding the calculation in the first post also. So basically, if you don't change how it calculates in beersmith it's going to give a much higher IBU estimate, which would get confusing because it would be way higher than what the real ZD is supposed to be.

On another note, I have done a lot of 20 minute or less boils without having any off flavors.

Brewed this yesterday. Although my LHBS was out of S-04, went with WLP013 (WL London Ale).

Brew day went perfectly, got down to pitching temp, pitched, cleaned up and took off for lunch. Came home to find one of the o-rings on my SS Brewbucket ball valve decided it had had enough (20-30 batches). Rushed to transfer into my 6 gal carboy. It's fermenting away (hot 75F) since I only have temp control for my SS Bucket... I thought it was worth a laugh :)

Just going to let it ride for 3 weeks and hope the yeast take care of some of off stuff. Might be hangover beer...

I brewed this about 4 weeks ago and it is absolutely fantastic. I followed the recipe with slight modifications to hop amounts due to my citra being 13% aa. I dry hopped in the keg at room temp for 2 days and left them in my keezer. The aroma screams passion fruit and other citrus smells. The taste is great with reserved bitterness for a 60 IBU beer. The late hop additions pull out more of the citrus flavor vs. bitterness.

So I made this twice......once with my mistake on a 20 min boil and once the way you have it.....both were AMAZING!!! The 20 min boil was less bitter with MASSIVE hop flavor.....the full 60 was the perfect amount of bitter and less hop flavor by comparison but still a perfect balance.....I loved em both though

Btw, I noticed Autin Homebrew also has a clone recipe in case you wanna look at it. But I doubt it would be any better than yours!

http://austinhomebrew.com/assets/images/RCPPDF/09417.pdf

So I made this twice......once with my mistake on a 20 min boil and once the way you have it.....both were AMAZING!!! The 20 min boil was less bitter with MASSIVE hop flavor.....the full 60 was the perfect amount of bitter and less hop flavor by comparison but still a perfect balance.....I loved em both though

Btw, I noticed Autin Homebrew also has a clone recipe in case you wanna look at it. But I doubt it would be any better than yours!

http://austinhomebrew.com/assets/images/RCPPDF/09417.pdf

I wish I was getting royalties from all of these homebrew stores selling my recipe :)

Has anyone gotten and strange smells during fermentation of this recipe? I have three gallons of this in my chamber and every one I open it I get a very very strong vinger, almost rotten fruit smell. Not apatizing.

Please note, I did mess up the dryhopping. I read it as "1.5 oz on the first day" Whoops.

Naturally I am worried as everyone says how great it smells. And I've got vinger covered rotten apples over hear.

Hi all. Looking to resurrect this discussion. Been brewing for more than a year but only did 2 all grains so far. I'm looking to do this Zombie Dust clone and I have a question. Boil size is 7 gallons. Mash is 5.5 gallons @ 155F. I don`t see anything about sparging with regards to amount or temp of sparge water. I'm assuming this is a single infusion mash? Am I missing something here with regards to getting to the 7 gallon boil volume?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi all. Looking to resurrect this discussion. Been brewing for more than a year but only did 2 all grains so far. I'm looking to do this Zombie Dust clone and I have a question. Boil size is 7 gallons. Mash is 5.5 gallons @ 155F. I don`t see anything about sparging with regards to amount or temp of sparge water. I'm assuming this is a single infusion mash? Am I missing something here with regards to getting to the 7 gallon boil volume?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sparge with 168 degree water until you have 7 gallons in the boil kettel, assuming your boil off rate is the same.

Thanks. Wasn't sure of the sparge temp.

And now another question . I messed up. My pot will only hold 5.75 gallons for the boil. I have the hops, yeast and grains brought. Is there any I can do to salvage this before I start this Brew? I'm willing to buy a bigger pot. but being an extract brewer all along I'm know I always top up the fermenter with water in the past. Is this an option in this case? What effect would it have on the beer? Thanks.

Thanks. Wasn't sure of the sparge temp.

And now another question . I messed up. My pot will only hold 5.75 gallons for the boil. I have the hops, yeast and grains brought. Is there any I can do to salvage this before I start this Brew? I'm willing to buy a bigger pot. but being an extract brewer all along I'm know I always top up the fermenter with water in the past. Is this an option in this case? What effect would it have on the beer? Thanks.

The top off water will dilute the wort bringing your OG down . Make a bigger mash to compensate

The top off water will dilute the wort bringing your OG down . Make a bigger mash to compensate
I`m assuming the biggest adverse effect of the lower OG is the end result ABV? As long as the flavor profile isn't affected too much I'm fine with a lower ABV.

For a bigger mash - more grains? same amount of grain but more water? both?

Thanks.

Hey all! A friend of mine just got back from Wisconsin. He couldn’t find Zombie Dust, but he did bring back 3 other 3 Floyd’s IPAs. All of them had a very distinctive silky mouthfeel. Any idea if this is a product of the yeast or the water? Maybe a gypsum addition?

Hey all! A friend of mine just got back from Wisconsin. He couldn’t find Zombie Dust, but he did bring back 3 other 3 Floyd’s IPAs. All of them had a very distinctive silky mouthfeel. Any idea if this is a product of the yeast or the water? Maybe a gypsum addition?

I believe it is yeast driven. I believe they use 1968. Their finishing gravities are are not as dry. That is what I attribute to their finish. I can never find Zombie Dust.

Brewed the recipe and turned out amazing.

Attachments

• 20210219_210724.jpg
    20210219_210724.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Back