Apple Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to try an apple ale. I got a recipe from a friend on here but also wanted to ask what everyone else thinks too. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

apples have a very high pectin content. be careful and use a pectinase to clear up the haze. i wouldn't throw your fruit in the last part of the boil because of this, as well. i'd probably throw the apples into your secondary ferment, since the alcohol content will take care of some of the natural critters in the apple. that will help somewhat, but i'd still be careful - try frozen fruit or purees with no preservatives. concentrates are iffy, i dont know enough about them. they might work well.

the reason i say this is because i'm partly done with my first fruit-ish beer. does anyone have any input? am i mostly right?

and i'd like to ask a question -

lets say i rack my beer into the secondary fermenter and add a fruit puree. how long should i let it ferment before i rack it to a tertiary? and what should i use for my tertiary - a pail with an airlock, or another carboy?

this is assuming that the primary takes 4-5 days, if that is helpful info.

Back