Anyone w a good GF Irish Stout Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintail78

Reaction score
Looking for something like a Guinness recipe. Mainly a GF substitute for the dark barley malt...any ideas/successes?

No idea on getting it dark. Dark candi syrup when used with the fermentis WB-06 and no whirlfloc tablet has made for a dark brown in the beers I've made. Maybe try roasting buckwheat (stuff above in the sticky).

When I did some reading on Guiness I found that they add some "soured" beer to the mix to get that flavour.

FYI dark candi syrup, US-05 and whirlfloc make an amber colour.

If you've looked through the forum, you'll pretty much only find the double chocolate stout as the darkest beer we've been able to make. I've recently tried with a darkly roasted steel cut oats that were mashed with alpha amylase. I accidentally used too much water so the og was down at 1.050. It's sitting in a secondary right now, but I made a mistake and left the pressure relief valve open, so I'm a bit concerned about it, but I'll look into carbonating it and see if someone can get me some comments on it, particularly if they can tell if the oats did anything, or nothing.
http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/casanova-double-chocolate-stout-heavy-soul/

Coffee
Burnt buckwheat, Rice (roast it for as long as possible at a lower temp rather than just sticking it under broil until it chars up).
Drk Candi Sugar
Drk Chocolate
Molasses

And even with all of that it is still a dark brown beer. Sorghum Malt does not have the variety of roasts as malted barely. IF you malt your own grains I would think you could probably get closer to a stout color.

I brewed a GF Imperial(ish) Stout a while black that was as dark, if not darker, than any other "regular" stout.

I used a gallon batch of Bochet (do a search for 'burnt honey mead' or 'bochet' on the mead forum) and used it in place of one gallon of the boil water.

Here is my blog post on it.

Just thinking crazy here, I wonder what you'd get if you tried to 'darken' some sorghum extract by putting it in a double-boiler or something for a while...(Maybe no need for the double boiler, if you could heat the pan and keep stirring it without scorching, adding water to keep it at a high temp for a while, like making dark candi sugar?)

Anyway, you're probably going to need to roast a lot of your own grain to produce a GF stout...

How long did it take to brew the bochet?

About 3 week from start to finish. Actually, probably less because of all the carmelisation only about half of the sugars are still fermentable. The rest became so complex that they wouldn't ferment and had no discernible sweetness.

Just read your blog entry, how did it turn out?

It turned out great. Served it to several people, including a few commercial brewers and brewery reps and they never guessed it was GF until I told them.

The biggest "complaint" I had was that it needed more body. If I ever remake it, that will be my focus!

It turned out great. Served it to several people, including a few commercial brewers and brewery reps and they never guessed it was GF until I told them.

The biggest "complaint" I had was that it needed more body. If I ever remake it, that will be my focus!

Wow 8oz's of maltodextrine and they still wanted more body.

Back