note to self... autumn amber ale does NOT age well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
for some genius reason, I saved 2 bottles of my first beer (an autumn amber ale, which was dang good) and let them age for a year, mostly cuz i forgot about them. I just opened one:

IMG_20110121_225205.jpg

and of course the cat had to come see what was going on

but, it was DISGUSTING, reminded me of how stale apple cider tastes, was just horribly oxidized, and now i'm trying to get this taste out of my mouth....

my first ever drain pour

had that happen to some leftover ale i bottled, a few months old. opened one the other day and it smelled like vinigar, so I dumped it.

Sounds like air was able to work it's way in... One of the reasons I'm staying clear of crimp-on bottles caps... Going with the Grolsch style, you're 100% sure they're sealed up right. With caps, I'd always be concerned (at least for several batches, until proven otherwise) that they are not 100% sealed properly. I know many people use them, with great results...

I have drank that beer after 9 months and it was fantastic. At what temp did you store them. I store mine at around 55*, but the one I had that was the best had been lagered in the fridge for a good 3 months. IME most beers don't age that well after a certain point, many variables invovled here. Store it as cold as possible, unless you are "aging" it.(huge beers) JMO

I have drank that beer after 9 months and it was fantastic. At what temp did you store them. I store mine at around 55*, but the one I had that was the best had been lagered in the fridge for a good 3 months. IME most beers don't age that well after a certain point, many variables invovled here. Store it as cold as possible, unless you are "aging" it.(huge beers) JMO

i honestly did not store them at a good temp, i forgot that I had them because i was moving and such, they were in my box of bottles which was taped shut and labeled empty bottles, these boxes have been everywhere from in my parents basement, to the garage, to the back of the car, to my basement, etc... probably average 68-72* temps.

one thing i can think of, when i bottles some of these i remembered accidentally bubbling air into it when my bottling wand sucked some air bubbles into itself, which i could imagine would have oxidized it

Had two beers that were at opposite ends of this spectrum: A Belgian Amber Ale and an Irish Red Ale.

After a year, the Belgian was TERRIBLE. Stale and chalky maybe. Bleah! The Irish Red Ale on the other hand, was clean, crystal clear and fantastic after a year.

Latest posts

Back