Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NerdyMarie

Reaction score
Note: I wrote this recipe out for beginners, so there will be some "duh" to it here!

This wine starts out very orange, thick, and pulpy. It won’t look anything like wine for a few months, as the pulp and yeast slowly settle. When all is said and done, you will be left with a crystal clear, pale, straw colored wine. Sweet, fruity, delicious wine that goes down a little too well… and costs only $1-2/bottle!

Another nice thing about this wine is that it is very good when “young”. Unlike many recipes, this one is tasty and ready to drink in only about 4-5 months! Age it if you like – we haven’t been able to keep any long enough to see how it ages! We just put on a 6 gallon batch of this.

The ABV on this comes out to about 15-16%.

Home Brewed Mango Pulp Wine Recipe

8 cups water
30 oz can of Mango Pulp*
6 cups white sugar
1.5 tsp acid blend
½ tsp pectinase (pectic enzyme)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1 packet Red Star “Champagne” yeast

Combine water, mango pulp, and sugar in a large clean, sanitized pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.

Stir in acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and wine tannin. Cover pot with sanitized lid, allow to cool to room temperature.

Using sanitized equipment, take a gravity reading. It should be in around the 1.122 area. Keep track of the number!

Using a sanitized funnel, transfer cooled mixture to a sanitized 1 gallon carboy. Sprinkle yeast into carboy, cover with sanitized air lock. Let sit, undisturbed, overnight.

Within 24 hours, you should notice fermentation activity – bubbles in the airlock, carbonation and /or swirling in the wine must. This means you’re good to go! Put the carboy somewhere cool (not cold!), and leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.

After 2-3 weeks, you should notice that the wine has clarified a fair amount, with a thick layer of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. Using sanitized equipment, rack the clarified wine off the sediment, into a clean, freshly sanitized 1 gallon carboy. Cap with sanitized airlock, leave it alone for 2-3 months.

Repeat racking process. Leave wine alone for a month or so.

Using sanitized equipment, rack the wine into clean, sanitized bottles. Cork. (We like to use these for corking our homemade wine. Easy to use – no special equipment needed! – easy to uncork, and – should you have any wine left in your bottle after serving (pfft!), the “cork” is easily replaced for temporary storage!

Enjoy.. and start planning for a larger batch!

* We use Swad Kesar mango pulp, which is readily available in our local grocer’s international foods aisle for about $3/ can. It’s also available at Indian grocery shops and online.

WineMaking3a.jpg

Wow- that looks great! I showed that to Bob, who is now googling "mango pulp"! We rarely get to the Twin Cities (or any big cities in the area) but if we do get over there, what store do you buy this in?

Wow- that looks great! I showed that to Bob, who is now googling "mango pulp"! We rarely get to the Twin Cities (or any big cities in the area) but if we do get over there, what store do you buy this in?

I get it at Cub

Seriously, order like a 6 pack online and make a big batch. It is SO freaking tasty!!

Oh, and get extra because it's CRACK. Mix a bit with water for a mango nectar type drink. Mix some with yogurt for a mango lassi. Put it on ice cream, make margaritas with it... BATHE in it.. seriously, so, so good!

Hi!

This recipe looks tasty! I'm going to buy some mango pulp this weekend to start a 3 gallon batch. So one question since I'm a beer brewer and this will be my first wine: do I have to top off with water when I rack into the 2nd and 3rd carboys?

Thanks!

I started a 5 gallon batch of this last night. Smells and tastes great!

Anyone have a picture of it finished possibly poured in a glass? :)

I am thinking about making a 5 gallon batch of this. Has anyone else done that successfully?

Is it fine to just multiply all of the ingredient amounts times 5 (besides the yeast)?

I ask because I have never used pectinase or wine tannins before and know very little about their use.

Any other advice/ideas ?

I didn't know either, so I just multiplied everything by 5, except for the yeast of course. Checked it earlier and it was bubbling away. Keeping my fingers crossed!

We just multiplied everything but the yeast for our giant batch. We've sampled from the one gallon - fermented and clarified MUCH quicker than the 5 gallon is going! - and it's awesome. Yum!

Definitely one of my favorites of everything we've tried so far. Lingonberry and Cuties mead are tied for #1, this is probably #2, and watermelon is #3. I think.

Three weeks later: I racked to 2ry. SG: 1.064. Tasted the hydro sample, felt like drinking the rest of the 5 gallons, it was super yummy! :rockin: I can't believe I have to wait for a few more months before enjoying this delicious wine! So what's the final gravity?

Three weeks later: I racked to 2ry. SG: 1.064. Tasted the hydro sample, felt like drinking the rest of the 5 gallons, it was super yummy! :rockin: I can't believe I have to wait for a few more months before enjoying this delicious wine! So what's the final gravity?

I THINK it was 1.003 - that's the last we recorded, I'm not sure if it was final. Actually, looking at the notes, it probably was. We need to get better about recording things!

The problem is, we usually have several batches on at once, and rack everything over on the same day. Between drinking what we use in the hydrometer, and "Ooh, that was great, pour me a glass"... we sometimes get sloppy about records after working on a few batches. LOL

NerdyMarie said:
FYI the 5 gallon batch goes MUCH more slowly.

We put on a 6 gallon batch, the 1 gallon carboy had settled out within a few weeks, the 5 gallon is still going!

Good to know. Do you happen to have a picture of the finished product? Also, do you think this would carbonate well?

I THINK it was 1.003 - that's the last we recorded, I'm not sure if it was final. Actually, looking at the notes, it probably was. We need to get better about recording things!

The problem is, we usually have several batches on at once, and rack everything over on the same day. Between drinking what we use in the hydrometer, and "Ooh, that was great, pour me a glass"... we sometimes get sloppy about records after working on a few batches. LOL

I don't blame you guys. The hydro sample was awesome! :p

FYI the 5 gallon batch goes MUCH more slowly.

We put on a 6 gallon batch, the 1 gallon carboy had settled out within a few weeks, the 5 gallon is still going!

Hmm. I should have waited before racking mine. I lost a little over 1/2 gallon because it had not settled well. :(

NerdyMarie said:
Probably. It really needs to be sweet for the taste, IMHO.. so maybe a bit lighter on the carbonation?

Cool. Any pictures of the finished wine? Trying to get an idea of what it'll look like.

LOL.

Seriously, we don't. It comes out to be a really clear, pale straw color - not that different from many white wines.

Xcorpia said:
I love the cat just chillin' in the background. LOL

Lol, yea he had to get in the picture. As soon as I setup the pulp tower, he hopped in. Can't wait to make this stuff, the tannins and everything else are on their way from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I'm telling you, NerdyMarie wasn't kidding when she said this wine was delicious. Can't wait 'till mine is completely done.

This inspired me to make a 1 gallon batch using what I had on hand. I used a form of jack kellers recipe.

1-1.5lb bag of frozen mango slices (trader joes)
1-1lb bag of frozen mango chunks (stop and shop)
2-1/2lbs of sugar
7 pts water
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
Champagne wine yeast (ec1118)

I had a o.g of exactly 1.100 (~15% abv). But plan on topping up the gallon jug with water so that will be a little less.

For anyone who decides to use frozen mangos, the stop and shop brand was really hard to mash and seemed almost under-ripe. It was dull in color and aroma. The trader joes on the other hand was organic (not that it matters to me) and seemed to be much brighter and easier to mash up.

The recipes seem pretty similar, I just chose frozen cause it wAs what I already had half of on hand.

Finally got around to putting together 5 gallons of this, followed the recipe to a T. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Xcorpia said:
Mine is in 2ry and clarifying beautifully.

Nice! How long would you recommend leaving a 5gal batch in primary? I was thinking 3-4 weeks to let everything settle.

By the way, I just used hot tap water, as hot as it'll come out, which I think is around 140-150F, and used a drill with paint stirrer attachment to dissolve the sugar, additives and pulp. Turned out perfectly smooth in consistency, and I did everything in the Ale Pail, so almost no cleanup! Don't know if heating is really required.

I'll tell you as soon as I read my notes at home, I'm working now.

Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett Brux | JAOM | Apfelwein w/ Brown Sugar & S-23 | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill.

:off:I noticed you brewed the AHS 20th Anniv. IPA. Please let me know how it turns out. I've been curious.

For anyone who decides to use frozen mangos, the stop and shop brand was really hard to mash and seemed almost under-ripe. It was dull in color and aroma. The trader joes on the other hand was organic (not that it matters to me) and seemed to be much brighter and easier to mash up.

The recipes seem pretty similar, I just chose frozen cause it wAs what I already had half of on hand.

If ever get the chance, for sure try the pulp recipe.

The first time we made mango wine, it was from the IQF mango pieces. It definitely didn't have the sweetness or fruit flavor that the pulp did. We tried the pulp as an experiment - we both love mango, and KNEW it had potential for so much more than the frozen stuff gave us!

I may try to add a can or two of pulp to secondary as there is alot of sediment so far in primary.

Ill have to call some stores to locate some. Would stop and shop carry it? Or maybe a ethnic food store?

Found it for $3 a can right down the road from where I work. I'll grab 2 cans next Time I have some cash on me ($20 min for cards in their store) and put it into the secondary, maybe I'll even just double up the batch now that I have 3- Carlo Rossi jugs to play with.

Back