Fermenting kombucha ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkered

Reaction score
Anyone have any good fermentation chamber ideas? All I can think of is a hot pad and adjusting temp by putting more or less of the pad on it.

I live in a house with central heating, since it's too expensive for us to keep the thermostat above 60F, I keep the door to the bathroom closed which keeps the temp inside hovering around 70F. For sanitary purposes I keep my fermentor in a clean plastic tote. Only... try to imagine the combination of these two formidable forces: A morning after enchiladas and dark ale, wrestling with the sour sock smell of our beloved kombucha. It's a get in and get out must make move!

This idea makes a good building project. Since my house is always like 60 degrees, I built a box out of 11/2 inch styrofoam insulation, found at Lowes or Home Depot etc.. It's a good size, enough to hold about three of those 2.5 gallon glass cookie jars they sell at walmart. My brother then helped me put a temperature controlled thermostat with a lightbulb connected to it. The lightbulb (a 25 watt I think) generates enough heat to heat the box, and when it gets too hot in there, it shuts off and turns on when it gets too cold. I was going to order one of these outlet thermostats http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7NYY8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, but my brother helped me rig one up instead. The thing has been working like a charm and it keeps the ferment nice and warm in a freezing cold house :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a greenhouse thermostats rigged to a small radiator that keeps the room between 80-84 at all times.
To ensure proper temp reading I have a a stick on thermometer on both sides of container, and 2 different thermometers l, that link to my phone monitoring room temp.
It's overboard, I know. But I'm in it to produce the best product that I can.

Latest posts

Back