All Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale OS-5
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
85 Rager
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nope
Additional Fermentation
Nope
Tasting Notes
Really hoppy.
OK so I wanted to make a light colored IPA with a simple grain bill and focuses on Cascade hops. This recipe is for 6 gallons at the end of the boil which gives me about 5 gallons into the keg. This recipe turned out great the first time I brewed it and wouldn't change a thing. It's really hoppy.

Extract w/ grains:

Grain Bill:

7# LME
1# Crystal 15
1/4# Crystal 40
1# Table sugar.

Hops

2oz Cascade 7.1% AA 60 mins
1.5oz Cascade 7.1% AA 10 mins
1.5oz Cascade 7.1% AA 5 mins
1.5oz Cascade 7.1% AA 0 mins
1oz Cascade 7.1% AA dry hop

Yeast: Safale OS-5 works great. Nottingham might work OK as well. Wyeast 1056 American Ale or While Labs 001 Cal Ale would probably work just fine too.

All Grain; Sub out the extract for 10# of two row and mash at 150-152 degrees. I like the table sugar and low mash temp to help get a low FG. This helps the hops shine. This is just my preference but do whatever you want with it.

I enjoy an IPA that finishes dry and has lots of hop flavor and aroma. That is what this beer is all about.

Enjoy

:mug:

Mike

I'm doing an AG batch today with a few changes

1.5oz Casc 7.5% 60 Min
1.25oz Casc 7.5% 10 Min
1.25oz Casc 7.5% 5 Min
1oz Casc 6.9% Dry Hop

Nottingham Yeast

Love cascade! Thanks for providing both AG and extract recipes.

I'll try this when my current primary frees up.

4.5 oz in the last 10 min. seems like it will make a mess ;) I think Sjvicker will get the same amount of aroma and flavor with his 2.5 oz. But I can't be sure. So, if you each send me a beer (maybe two in case one bottle is infected), I will try them and let you know if you need all those pellets at the end of the boil :tank:

I was happy with my version and I think Mike said it right

"I enjoy an IPA that finishes dry and has lots of hop flavor and aroma. That is what this beer is all about."

I thought it was very good. I didn't add sugar (never except belgians) but still got a FG of 1.014 . I mashed at 151 but recommend not going any lower. The us-05 finishes crisp and you need a little malt flavor to balance the hops to some extent. The hop schedule is good but I like a little more back-end bitterness and will probable up the 60min addition a little. good beer at the end of the day I just always keep tweeting everything :mug:

I thought it was very good. I didn't add sugar (never except belgians) but still got a FG of 1.014 . I mashed at 151 but recommend not going any lower. The us-05 finishes crisp and you need a little malt flavor to balance the hops to some extent. The hop schedule is good but I like a little more back-end bitterness and will probable up the 60min addition a little. good beer at the end of the day I just always keep tweeting everything :mug:

Nice! Glad you liked it....

I've been struggling with my all cascade pale ale, I might try your hopping schedule for the flavor and aroma. Thanks for posting!

I've been struggling with my all cascade pale ale, I might try your hopping schedule for the flavor and aroma. Thanks for posting!

Northern brewer has an incredible Extra Pale ale kit that is all cascade. I've been using it as my "main" for on-tap beer and only requires 3oz of Cascade.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/ExtraPaleAle.pdf

That being said.... I love the cascade pale ale, and I love IPAs. I think my good OP sir, I found my recipe for this weekend!

Just wondering, could I use DME to replace the LME and the table suger? If so, would 7# be enough?

Back