Hamm's clone: The legend lives on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been brewing for a bit and made some pretty tasty brews. Batch #7 is going to be a BJCP 13F Russian Imperial Stout.

For batch #8, I'd like to appease some BMC drinkers in my circle (my mom included) with a nice lager. Hamm's is one of her childhood memories, as it was always what Grandpa drank on the farm after a hard day mowing hay or tending his cattle.

Any idea where to start? I've never tasted the stuff as I can't find it anywhere, but I'd imagine it's some cross between Coor's and Corona. Maybe a BJCP 1A Lite American Lager, secondaried on some beech chips (maybe blasted with a UV light for a few seconds to add that Corona "flavor"?)

Any advice would be appreciated. I know a lite lager clone is not usually what we go for on these forums, but it'd probably mean a lot to Mom and those around me.

Thanks for the help,
jkpq45

Ok, I can already tell you that you are going to get a bunch of responses that include putting piss in your brew kettle and several other things referring to how you would make this beer.

On the other hand Hamms is like $5 for a 12 pack right or $10 for 30? While I think you could probably make it cheaper with All Grain, I think you would have to make like 25 gallons to make it worth doing but then again you are just trying to bring back some nostalgia I guess.

As far as a recipe I haven't had a Hamms in..... I am not sure I have ever had one actually but I can't imagine there is more than one hop and do they even use barley?

Category Light Lager
Subcategory Lite American Lager
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 6.50 lbs.
Total Hops 0.8 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 129.1
Cost to Brew $16.88 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.32 (USD)

4 lbs. American 2-row info
0.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraHell® info
1.5 lbs. Rice Raw info
0.5 lbs. Corn Grits info
0.5 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 4 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.25 oz. Willamette (Pellets, 4 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
Yeast : DCL Yeast Saflager S-23 Genuine Lager Yeast info

Predicted Lite American Lager Compliance
Original Gravity 1.033 1.030 - 1.040 100 %
Terminal Gravity 1.003 0.998 - 1.008 100 %
Color 2.64 °SRM 2.00 - 3.00 °SRM 100 %
Bitterness 10.8 IBU 8.00 - 12.00 IBU 100 %
Alcohol (%vol) 3.9 % 3.20 - 4.20 % 100 %
100 % overall

Here's my first guess with beertools. Comments?

Plan on boiling corn grits and rice together, then adding to 1 hour mash at 151*F. 60 minute boil, hopefully hit mid 1.030s into fermenter, I'll try to keep it under 48*F-59*F (wrapped in wet blanket in basement.) Saflager S-23 might produce some fruit/ester, might not be the best choice. BJCP says to limit yeast fruitiness/green apple flavor.

Any input on the lagering schedule? 48*F-59*F until primary is complete, gelatin finings to clear in secondary at same temp, rack to keg and carb at 2.5 volumes (12 PSIG at 38*F fridge temps). Let it sit until carbonated and bottle from keg.

There are not Ham's clones that I can find.....if you truly want to tackle something for the bmc crowed, and you aren't set up for lagering, then a cream ale would be the way to go...

Cream of the three crops is highly favored around here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

If you can lager, then I would do the same recipe with your favorite lager yeast

...Hamms is like $5 for a 12 pack right or $10 for 30?

I've never seen it in the store, but I'm not surprised it's cheap. Beertools suggests about $20 for my 5-gallon batch.

..... I am not sure I have ever had one actually but I can't imagine there is more than one hop and do they even use barley?

I agree. 10.8 IBUs, 2.64SRM and 1.030OG/1.003FG suggests very little hops, color, final ABV and final body. My guess used 4lbs 2-row and 0.5 lbs carahell (for some added color, and I'm going against the style because I like the chance at some head retention).

I think that recipe looks good and will probably be better than a Hamm's and your Family will love you for it.

I just poured my first lager attempt this weekend for the friend I made it for. I was trying to clone Sam Adams light and the friend liked mine better so there ya go. I think different is good in the beer world.

Back