Fermenting US-05 cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefeater

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with this yeast at lower temps?

The reason I'm asking is that I will be away from home for a month and I want to make a brew before I go and put the fermenter in the basement.

The basement is around 55-60 degrees.
Upstairs it is 68-72.

The beer will be a 1.055-60ish APA.
Normally I'd ferment it upstairs for about 10 days, then put the bucket (no secondary) in the basement for two to three weeks before kegging

So I have three alternatives:

1: Ferment upstairs at 68-72 degrees for a month

2: Ferment downstairs at 55-60 degrees for a month

3: Brew it tomorrow which will allow two days upstairs before moving it down

What alternative would you choose, apart from going for a lager because I have no lager yeast on hand and can't get any before it's too late..
Only have US-05 and Nottingham..

cheers,
beefeater

The basement is around 55-60 degrees.
Upstairs it is 68-72.

Brew it on the stairs, that will be the perfect temperature :D

Just kidding, I'd brew it downstairs and *maybe* wrap it in a blanket. I'd think the heat from the fermentation would keep it warm enough. Of course, that might make it too warm....

I'd put it in the basement, on a pallet or table or something to keep it up off the floor at least a few inches. Setting it directly on a concrete slab (even one thats carpeted) might make it too cold.

The 68-72 ambient temp upstairs is too warm for my blood. I like to ferment my American style beers at 65º or cooler.

I'd put it in the basement, on a pallet or table or something to keep it up off the floor at least a few inches. Setting it directly on a concrete slab (even one thats carpeted) might make it too cold.

The 68-72 ambient temp upstairs is too warm for my blood. I like to ferment my American style beers at 65º or cooler.

I agree. In basement, off floor, maybe a blanket.

Maybe start it up stairs and then when you see activity take it down stairs and wrap it in a blanket. This yeast's range is 59-75F but I think you would have trouble if you just stuck it in the basement or upstairs the whole time.

I ferment on a landing on my basement stairs in the winter- nice halfway point in temp between the warmer upstairs and the slightly too cool basement.

Also keep in mind that the aerobic activity of the yeast during fermentation can raise the wort temp by as much as 10ºF. So even if it's 55 down there, your wort temp will probably be over 60 during fermentation. Also, I tend to err low rather than high. Lower temps might lead to a stuck ferment, and that can usually be fixed. Higher temps usually lead to off-flavors, esters, phenolics, etc...which can't be fixed.

I agree. In basement, off floor, maybe a blanket.

Maybe start it up stairs and then when you see activity take it down stairs and wrap it in a blanket. This yeast's range is 59-75F but I think you would have trouble if you just stuck it in the basement or upstairs the whole time.
I place my fermenters on dollies. This way all I have to do is slide them around the basement floor and not pick them up...

Go to Wally World and pick one up for $5.97 (same one in lhbs for $19.99). I unlock the wheels and twist off the tab with pliers so it can't be locked again...;)

I've started us-05 as low as 52 and ramped it up toward the end of fermentation. I think you'll be fine at 55+.

Thanks for the replies!

A blanket or some insulation was a great idea!

I'm grinding the grains tonight and will brew tomorrow. That will give me two days of fermenting at the higher temperature. That should give the yeast a good start. Then I move the bucket into the basement (off the floor, thanks for that tip!) and wrap it in some blankets. Hopefully it will be done and ready to keg when I come back home in a month...

It will be based on a SNPA-clone recipe I'm enjoying version two of as I type. Slightly more malt and hops in this version 3.0. I know it will be good!

for 21 liters:
OG 1.060
Mash at 65C (149F) to aim for 78% attenuation and a FG of 1.013

5kg Muntons Pale Malt
.33kg Fawcett Crystal 60L
20g Magnum @ 60
25g Perle @ 30
30g Cascade @ 10
35g Cascade for aroma at flameout
US-05 yeast. Two packets just to be sure

cheers!
beefeater

I've started us-05 as low as 52 and ramped it up toward the end of fermentation. I think you'll be fine at 55+.

Here in hot south Florida, I do it like that every time. I leave it in fermentation cooler for 3-4 days then let it come up to low 70's over next few days. My beers have been much cleaner since I began this practice

I didn't see your reply before I posted mine, but that was great news!
I can now stick to the plan and RDWHAHB :D

:mug:
beefeater

I used -05 on my last beer (an American wheat) at 73 degrees. It came out really clean without any off flavors. I don't worry about using -05 up to 75 degrees b/c it's such a clean yeast.

Everything was postponed for a day but now the airlock is bubbling away!

Brewed it yesterday and today fermentation is going good at 70 degrees.
I'll leave tomorrow and just before I go I'll move the bucket downstairs with a blanket and hopefully it'll be done when I'm back in a month.

My brewday was a breeze; hit all my numbers and the wort tasted delicious! This will be a good one:ban:

beefeater

Dude - your basement is a perfect temperature for controlled fermentation. Just get a big rectangular Rubbermaid tub, fill it mostly full with water, and add a cheap ($25) aquarium heater to dial in whatever temperature you want. They are really precise in their temperature control, and all that thermal mass of the water keeps your fermenter temperature pretty constant.

I brewed with this yeast in my basement in the winter, in Michigan, with no problems- it turned out very well. The basement could not have been much higher than 55 degrees. If it doesn't take off in a day or two, put it on a bench, table, or other higher surface in the basement, but mine did fine on the floor.

I brewed with this yeast in my basement in the winter, in Michigan, with no problems- it turned out very well. The basement could not have been much higher than 55 degrees. If it doesn't take off in a day or two, put it on a bench, table, or other higher surface in the basement, but mine did fine on the floor.

Same here. I've used S-05 on my first 3 brews. It got pretty cool for my first brew at 54 degress and slowed down but didn't get stuck.

How's it going now?

Hi again, just wanted to give an update:

Any concerns I might have had were unneccessary!

I came home on Friday and found my beer in the basement at 14 Celsius (57F). It had fermented out to 1.010 (from 1.061). That's a couple of points more than I had expected (tried to shoot for 1.013 with the mash). I racked it directly to a keg to let it age under some CO2-pressure at the same temp for one more month or so. The hydro sample tasted delicious! I think I have a new standard procedure for fermenting ales!

I made another APA and put it on the yeast-cake on saturday. I started it at 19 C (66F) and when the fermentation was rigorous yesterday I moved it into the basement to give it the same treatment as the previous one.
beefeater

edit: I was concerned that my basement was too cold for fermenting ales,it wasn't. Now, my next question: Is 14 Celsius (57F) to hot for a lager??

Thread revival. My basement is colder than I thought. Air temp is about 53 degrees. I have the fermenter sitting on a table wrapped in bankets. Sounds like things will run slower but no one seems to have problems finishing. Any other experience with cold fermenting US-05 out there?

Probably 80% of my brews are done with S-05 and I love to run it cold. I normally ferment at 52 and ramp to 68 for the last few days before kegging. As long as your sanitization is sound and you don't freak out about 24-48 hour lag times, S-05 will definitely get the job done cold (and do it well).

Latest posts

Back