25ft Immersion Chiller enough for 5gallon full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
I'd previously picked up a 25ft copper immersion chiller and have been delighted with its work getting a partial (3-4gallon) boil down to pitching temp in about 15-20 mins. Someone bought me a turkey fryer today so I'm planning to step it up to full boils - do you think the chiller will bring 5 gallons of boiling wort down to pitching temp in a reasonable period of time? I know I'll probably be better to upgrade but I was hoping to not have to replace everything (I already have to get a bigger cooler MLT).

Instead of getting a larger chiller you could get a second 25fter. Run the water through one which is submerged in an Ice bath and then into the second one which is in the kettle.

It should work fine--what I've found (I have a 35 foot IC) is that stirring constantly (or even frequently) in a whirlpool type motion will halve your chilling time.

Yep, it will work fine. I just chilled a 5.5 gallon batch in 10 minutes using cold tap water through my 25' immersion chiller. maltMonkey is right--getting some motion of the wort around the chiller, or the chiller through the wort, speeds things up immensely. I just grab the wort chiller and use it to stir the wort in a circular motion for about 10 seconds at a time, maybe 2-3 times during the chilling process. Just be careful because early on, the outlet side of the chiller can burn you.

i think it's the thinner tubing, 3/16?

our tap water is pretty cold, so i think i'll be good with it, but the ice batch idea is neat if i need to bump it up a bit.

all grain here i come!

Mine worked just fine. A lot depends on the ground temperature of your water. Right now in NJ, I'd say your water temp is perfect for good quick chilling and cold break.

This is a Kolsch I did last February using the 25' chiller (when I was doing 5-gallon batches) and you can see the cold break was pretty substantial.

Wort_Chiller.JPG

Chiller_Filter_1.jpg

If it's the 1/4" OD stuff, it's gonna be a little tough just because of the restricted flow but yeah, 40ºF tap water is going to save the day. If you keep the wort moving really well with a sanitized spoon, expect a chill time of less than 15 minutes. As the tap temp creeps up, you'll have to start thinking of a 3/8" x 25' chiller and potentially a cheap sump pump to pump icewater into it. That's summer brewing for ya.

Back