krausen not forming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendenburg2

Reaction score
so it's been just under 24 hours since I started a batch for a friend who has never brewed before and not only is there no visible fermentation, no krausen has formed either. we used a wyeast 1332 Northwest ale (manufacture date: 15 November 2012). the pouch never really inflated after slapping, even though it was given a few hours. i've never encountered a problem like this in my 20+ batches, using either Wyeast or any other brand.

a bit of background about this guy... despite the fact that he's never brewed before, he is convinced he knows everything there is because his brothers (who do brew) told him a few things. with that in mind, he decided he really wanted to try isinglass to improve the clarity of the beer, and thought that, like Irish Moss, it should be added during the boil, which he did. not sure if that could have caused all the yeast to floc to the bottom and halt/slow fermentation.

so my questions are: whether or not I am worrying prematurely, whether it will pick up on its own or will i have to re-pitch yeast (either from a new pack or the sediment in a previous bottle), should I rack off to a different carboy to remove the sediment etc etc...

yes, wait longer. Sounds like you guys did not use a starter so you underpitched. Some yeasts take longer than others to get going and when you underpitch the yeast you can end up with a longer lag period which is where you are. Give it a couple more days.

24 hrs is pretty short time but be sure to take gravity reading before any action.
I would wait 48-72 hrs and then (depending on SG measurement) decide what to do.

Back