Awesome Gluten Free McGee beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbx

Reaction score
We kept making a gluten free session beer, tweaking the ingredients to try to get drinkability, balance, mouthfeel and good flavor.

This is the fourth revision of this recipe and we think it is delicious.

Try it out and let us know what you think:

http://homebrewexchange.net/content/gluten-free-mcgee-ale

We tried to balance the tartness of the sorghum by using mild hops. For mouthfeel we use some maltodextrin. Belgian candi syrup adds great flavor and light body. Rice also adds mouthfeel and crisp fermentables.

Pretty darn tasty we think...

We kept making a gluten free session beer, tweaking the ingredients to try to get drinkability, balance, mouthfeel and good flavor.

This is the fourth revision of this recipe and we think it is delicious.

Try it out and let us know what you think:

http://homebrewexchange.net/content/gluten-free-mcgee-ale

We tried to balance the tartness of the quinoa by using mild hops. For mouthfeel we use some maltodextrin. Belgian candi syrup adds great flavor and light body. Rice also adds mouthfeel and crisp fermentables.

Pretty darn tasty we think...

By quinoa do you mean Sorghum? Don't see any quinoa in the recipe.

What flaked rice did you use? Can you confirm that ingredient is GF? What do you mean by pre-gelatinized?

By quinoa do you mean Sorghum? Don't see any quinoa in the recipe.

What flaked rice did you use? Can you confirm that ingredient is GF? What do you mean by pre-gelatinized?

Yes that was a typo which I fixed. We double checked with our suppliers on the ingredients being GF. We also have given a bunch to our gluten sensitive friend with no ill effects. The rice gelatinization process is also seen with corn. It avoids needing to precook the grain I believe. I think they pre soak then roll it flat.

Yes that was a typo which I fixed. We double checked with our suppliers on the ingredients being GF. We also have given a bunch to our gluten sensitive friend with no ill effects. The rice gelatinization process is also seen with corn. It avoids needing to precook the grain I believe. I think they pre soak then roll it flat.

What brand of Flaked Rice is GF? Is their Corn also GF?

Looks like a nice basic recipe. What type of belgian candi syrup do you use? Light, Amber or Dark?

How do you find the brew's flavour just using Saaz?

I think we usually use the amber candi syrup. The recipe could hold more hoppiness, but the gentle saaz makes a really quaffable brew.

Thanks a bunch for posting this. I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch of GF beer earlier this evening. My girlfriend is celiac, which we found out right about when I started home brewing. I'm pretty stoked to be making beer that she could drink, and I can drink and still be able to kiss her!

This looks like a great recipe and I look forward to trying it soon!

:mug:

No_Party:

2 gallons spring water
6 lbs sorghum extract
2 lbs rice syrup solids
boil 20 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau whole hops
boil additional 10 minutes
1 tsp yeast nutrient at flameout
cool, top off with 3 gallons of spring water
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
starting sg = 1.054

I know that's not the standard notation, but I hope that answers your question. Also, I plan to add an additional 1tsp of yeast nutrient after 3 days or so, and then probably 1 tsp at 7 days. I've read that enough yeast nutrition can help overcome any funny flavor some people perceive from the sorghum.

I think hbx's recipe will produce a much better end product. I consider what I made to be a starting point, more of an experiment. I'm still fairly new to brewing (about 6 months or so) so I'm getting a handle on what different hops taste like and I'm doing more complex recipes just yet.

No_Party:

2 gallons spring water
6 lbs sorghum extract
2 lbs rice syrup solids
boil 20 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau whole hops
boil additional 10 minutes
1 tsp yeast nutrient at flameout
cool, top off with 3 gallons of spring water
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
starting sg = 1.054

I know that's not the standard notation, but I hope that answers your question. Also, I plan to add an additional 1tsp of yeast nutrient after 3 days or so, and then probably 1 tsp at 7 days. I've read that enough yeast nutrition can help overcome any funny flavor some people perceive from the sorghum.

I think hbx's recipe will produce a much better end product. I consider what I made to be a starting point, more of an experiment. I'm still fairly new to brewing (about 6 months or so) so I'm getting a handle on what different hops taste like and I'm doing more complex recipes just yet.

Yeast nutrition is not equal to more yeast nutrient. Too much yeast nutrient can make the beer taste metallic, and I would not add any more than you have to your beer, you have plenty of sorghum in there to give plenty of nitrogen, and the rice solids have some too.

I am still very interested in which brand of flaked products you have confirmed is GF. We have been searching for one for a long while now.

Some google searching revealed a handful of 'rice flakes' that were labelled as gluten free. Also, I found a listing online of breiss products that are/were gluten free, and their 'insta grains brown rice flakes' were in that list. Now, this was a listing of their food products, and I'm too cautious to outright claim that this is the same item they sell as flaked rice for brewing...

But I bet a call to them would give you an answer. Honestly, considering the number of food-products that Breiss makes that are gluten-free (which means they've definitely got some gluten-free production lines OR a procedure in place to insure that the lines get cleaned in a way to produce gluten-free stuff), I don't see why their flaked corn and flaked rice wouldn't be produced gluten-free.

I'll try to remember to call them.

No_Party: I'll do my best to remember. I typically do 4 week primary fermentation, because of a lot that I've read on these boards. I might get antsy to try this one and only let it go for 3 weeks before bottling. It's likely to be 6-7 weeks before I try this batch...

DKershner: Thanks for the advice on the nutrient. I was planning on putting in the second dose later tonight, but I'll hold off and see how this batch goes with just the 1tsp. If it makes any difference, I'm not using DAP or Fermax. I had some Super Ferment by Country Wines in Pittsburgh, PA. I called them and they assured me that they don't intentionally put anything containing gluten into Super Ferment. Of course, they have to say that it is made in a facility that processes wheat. My girlfriend isn't sensitive enough that a teaspoon or two of something that might be but probably isn't cross contaminated in ~5.5 gallons will affect her. Anyway, Super Ferment just contains 7 different vitamins and yeast hulls, according to Country Wines.

DKershner & dorklord: I haven't given much consideration to using a lot of adjuncts or grains in GF beer yet, but when I do I would probably start with Bob's Red Mill products. I recently started a batch of a non-GF cream ale in which I steeped some steel cut oats. I told my girlfriend if I think it would improve the GF beer, that I'd spring for some Bob's Red Mill GF oats and steep them in the next batch of GF beer. I don't know offhand what sort of rice products they might have, but it's my experience that most of their GF food products are good quality, if not at least they're expensive! I'm not out to threadjack, but I haven't even begun to research anything on the difference between flaked rice and rice farina; they're both rice, right? (However foolish that may sound to someone with more experience than me...)

Sorry 'bout the novel.

Well, No_Party requested a follow up, so here goes:

Over the past week, my girlfriend and I have had a few of my beers from the recipe in post #9. I'm happy enough with them. In our opinion, they're better than Redbridge, along the lines of Bard's, but not as good as New Grist (our favorite commercial GF beer). There is definitely that sorghum beer "twang" but it's not overpowering. I'm glad I took DKershner's advice and skipped the later yeast nutrient additions, which might have made it worse.

What I was hoping for this to be was a base for future experiments,and I think it will be great for that. I still think hbx's recipe will make a better end product than the recipe I posted, and I'll be ordering the ingredients soon to try it. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy 30-60 pounds of sorghum syrup in bulk soon, and I have a bunch of different things I want to try, such as using GF oats in one batch (possibly some roasted / toasted GF oats in another) and the banana trick for better head, as well as some experiments with honey, oh and also making some of my own candi syrup at home.

I hope my recipe helps someone out...

FWIW, I brewed the Gluten Free McGee about a month ago and just bottled it this past weekend. My girlfriend and I both really enjoyed the un-carbed samples we tried. We're really looking forward to trying this about a month from now after it's had some time to carbonate. I expect after a few more months with a little age on it, it's really going to be great.

I officially nominate this recipe to be added to the database on HBT.

Has anyone else tried it yet?

Thanks, hbx!

If anyone is interested, I finally tasted the Gluten Free McGee today, after 28 days in primary and 24 days in the bottle.

I'm really happy with it. A little more hoppy that what I usually go for, but I guess the joke is that I haven't refined my tastebuds yet.

Anyway, um... A+, would brew again. Thanks, hbx.

^sounds good!

I have a recent test batch of gluten free beer... after 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in bottle it was unpalatable... I brewed it without doing any real research on gluten free beer... my wife has a sensitivity, so I figured "what the hell..." maybe you guys can tell me if it has a snow balls chance in hell of getting better with age... Fermentation seemed to go fine... nothing to note there....

details:
1 gallon well water
3/4lb molasses (organic blackstrap)
1/4lb wildflower honey
1/2oz palisade hops (30min)
1/2oz palisade hops (3min)
1tbsp Dao Ming black tea (1min)
Safbrew T58 (borrowed some from a big batch of Belgian Pale I was brewing... it's tasty!)
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.006

It was ridiculously bitter when I tasted it (I will drink almost anything and I spit this out... well I did drink a little :p)... I haven't cracked a second bottle... thought MAYBE some age would change it a little... it now seems to be going through another clearing phase in the bottle (bottled August 27th)...

Does molasses just need extra time??? Did I screw up royally??? Both????????????

jimmystewart.... what is the banana trick???? any relation to Jonh Stewbeef?

I can't offer much help with the recipe you brewed, other than that it's probably something more like a braggot (hopped mead) than a beer. I'd suggest trying some sorghum syrup or rice syrup solids as a base next time you try to make a gluten free beer. There are many recipes on HBT that can help you to get started in the right direction. It couldn't hurt to leave what you have in the bottles for a few months to see if it gets any better...

As for the banana trick, I'm sure I read somewhere on here that some people put a whole unpeeled banana in the boil to help with body and head retention. I have since searched for the thread, but have been unable to find it. I'm nearly certain that it was one of the highly respected veterans that suggested it for a barley-based beer and I thought to myself: "hey, that might be a good idea for a gluten-free beer" but alas, I haven't tried it yet.

And, no relation to Jon Stewart, but I could introduce you to my friends Frank Capra and Clarence Odbody.....

Thanks Jimbo; I plan on checking out those recipes... I'd be reluctant to call it braggot since the honey was only 25% of my sugar, but I also don't know much about it, so maybe! It was mainly a last minute experiment when I was brewing a batch for me... more care and design will go into future GF brews... I appreciate your feedback.

I think I might be about 20 years too late for that introduction... You would have had to find me when I was 10! Jesting aside, at least you caught the "Stewbeef" reference...

I'm getting ready to brew a second batch of Gluten Free McGee, since I was so happy with the first... I'm considering substituting 1 pound of dark Karo syrup for the 1 pound of amber candi syrup called for in the recipe.

I've done some research and Karo is completely gluten free and plenty fermentable. I couldn't find anything really comparing the flavor between the dark Karo and amber candi syrup.

I might even try looking for date syrup, but I don't recall ever having seen this locally...

Anyone out there have any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

I can't find the pre-gelatinzed rice flakes, though I did find brown rice flakes. Can I use those instead? I also read somewhere that minute rice might work? Is that true?

I used my local store-brand instant rice (confirmed gluten-free) and it worked well for me. It might have contributed to the beer being a little hazy. Personally, I don't care what my beer looks like as long as it tastes good so it was a non-issue for me, but YMMV...

The ingredients list calls for Liberty hops, but the recipe describes saaz hops. Does it use both? Are they very different? I ended up ordering both.

They are indeed different but would be good in their own way. Liberty hops have a floral/ fruity flavor, whereas Saaz hops have a spiciness to them (think Pilsner Urquell if you've ever had it)

Finally had the time and all the equipment to get this going. Need a big pot, found some maltodextrin at another brew shop . . . Took longer than the kits I've been making in the past, that's for sure! The SG came out right no target, so I assume I've done at least something right! The wort tasted a little funny, if I remember correctly, its similar to one of the commercial gluten free beers had. I hope it mellows out a bit, err a lot!

As this is the first "real" beer I've made, I was just wondering how long to leave it in the primary? My old kits took about 6 days, but I'd leave them 2 weeks. Then rack them for 2 more weeks in the carboy.

How much dextrose should I use for bottling? My kits used 220g for 6 gallon, should I use about 185g, since this is 5 gallon?

Thanks! look forward to trying this!

Hrmm. I heard elevation matters for priming and I'm at over 3000 feet. I think I need to use a bit more. My old kits called for 200g, and I was told to use 220g, so 10% more. So Maybe I'll give 145g a try, if that sounds right.

I primed mine to the American Amber Ale style so right between 2.2 - 2.8 CO2 range.. Think that your amount is fine, really about preference.

I was traveling a lot when this first went in so I didn't take care of it as I would of liked.

Believe it was in the primary for 2.5 weeks and dropped it into secondary for a week. Reversed what I normally do.

The beer didn't mind one bit :)

Thanks Jimbo; I plan on checking out those recipes... I'd be reluctant to call it braggot since the honey was only 25% of my sugar, but I also don't know much about it, so maybe! It was mainly a last minute experiment when I was brewing a batch for me... more care and design will go into future GF brews... I appreciate your feedback.

I don't think i would call that a braggot either, but it is definitely closer to a mead that a beer. I would say let this one age 1-2 years like you would a real mead and see how it is again (maybe its time to try one again if you still have any?).

Brewski, I tried one a few weeks ago... still has a really bitter aftertaste, but definitely improving. I think I posted up about testing it again somewhere around here, since it's getting close to a year old. I'll just keep holding into it and try one every few months... I just chugged the last one since the bitter taste doesn't take hold until after you stop drinking it, lol..

mr_y82 said:
Brewski, I tried one a few weeks ago... still has a really bitter aftertaste, but definitely improving. I think I posted up about testing it again somewhere around here, since it's getting close to a year old. I'll just keep holding into it and try one every few months... I just chugged the last one since the bitter taste doesn't take hold until after you stop drinking it, lol..

Good to know. I am going to do a batch similar to this using briess sorghum as the base with toasted quinoa for flavor (like making a dogfish head clone) and Belgian candy syrup d90. I am going to do a 2 hr boil though and add the d90 with 15 min left. Also using wlp530 after 4 generations (aprox 1ppb on the gluten whereas it would be 2ppm from first gen yeast. Note we change from ppm to ppb there). The Belgian yeast should balance the tart better I think.

mr_y82 said:
Let me know how that turns out (sorry I don't check the forum much). Good luck.

Did a 60 minute boil yielding 3% ABV with 13IBU and a golden/reddish color. Kinda tastes like acetaldehyde to me though. Not sure if it's just the sorghum base. Now I have a baseline to test the next few batches against though. Next one will be a 120 minute boil...

Latest posts

Back