Do I have to bottle mead with a cork?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginiawolf

Reaction score
I had made 2 different batches of mead one a year and 2 months ago and one about 8 months ago. I transferred both batches into secondary carboys and was aging them. Finally I got tired of it taking up my basement space and carboys so I put it in 1 gallon jugs with cheap type twist on tops and pop top bottles. It tastes really good. I blasted co2 into the bottles before bottling and into the slight space before the cap. Is new twist on cap unacceptable? Do I have to use a cork? I've only bottled beer before never wine. I dont want the 1 gallon jugs to spoil. I don't have a corker.
I'm hoping it will be ok but not sure.
Please let me know don't want the mead to spoil
Pics below

1gallonjug.jpg
[/IMG]

Probably ok for short term storage, but for long term I'd either cork 'em or cap 'em just like you would beer. Those cheap caps won't keep out O2 forever so I'd be looking for a less permeable seal.

Thanks Kershner Ale,
I've taken some time and been reading on here about bottling the mead. Seems champagne bottles with premium corks is the proper technique. I don't have any of the equipment. The local home brew shop said these bottles would be fine. I guess it was misinformation. Are you suggesting I could cork these jugs.. or do I have to completely re bottle and cork in wine bottles? Thanks for your time
New to Mead, Virginia Wolf

You can't cork gallon jugs. Wine and champagne bottles with corks are fine. Beer bottles with crown caps are fine too.

What's your timeframe? If you are going to drink this within a few months, I wouldn't worry about the jugs. If you're going to save some for a year or more, I'd put it in wine, beer, or champagne bottles. Either way, there's no big rush to re-bottle. It's fine for now.

One downside to gallon jugs is that you have to open a gallon at a time. I assume you don't drink mead a gallon at a time, so you'll end up with 1/2 full bottles that don't store well.

As crazy as it may seem, North Carolina, general statute § 18B 1001 require oak corks:

§ 18B 1001. Kinds of ABC permits; places eligible.
(17) Winemaking on Premises Permit. – A permit may be issued to a business, located in a jurisdiction where the sale of unfortified wine is allowed, where individual customers who are 21 years old or older may purchase ingredients and rent the equipment, time, and space to make unfortified wine for personal use in amounts set forth in 27 C.F.R. § 24.75. Except for wine produced for testing equipment or recipes and samples pursuant to this subdivision, the permit holder shall not engage in the actual production or manufacture of wine. All meads whether produced on premise of in the home of the consumer must be stored in a vessel that is to be sealed with an oaken cork. Samples may be consumed on the premises only by a person who has a nonrefundable contract to ferment at the premises, and the samples may not exceed one ounce per sample. All wine produced at a winemaking on premises facility shall be removed from the premises by the customer and may only be used for home consumption and the personal use of the customer.

:D As I understand it, caps are a better seal.

What the heck is an oaken cork?

I'm not sure what they are saying, but it sounds to me like they are talking about the fermentation and aging vessels rather than the final bottled product.

Thanks Kershner Ale,
I've taken some time and been reading on here about bottling the mead. Seems champagne bottles with premium corks is the proper technique. I don't have any of the equipment.

Some champagne bottles will take standard bottle caps, which allows you to just use your usual beer bottling equipment. Korbel is one brand. I am sure you can find some others.

I've taken to picking up a few of the Martenelli's Sparkling cider bottles. They take the us bottle cap from what I've seen. Keep an eye out for coupons and sales and they only cost about 2 bucks and since new empties are about 1.70 per (not including shipping) I don't mind paying .30 for juice.

Thank You all for your responses. There's alot on here about bottling the mead. Perhaps I will look into the bottles that take standard beer caps. I will drink some of it but age some too. I have never drank mead really until last night. Man 2 cups and I was warm and buzzing. It was a completely different feeling than wine or beer. The first time I brewed mead a swarm of honey bees came into my basement. It freaked me out. Since then I took classes on beekeeping and now have 2 hives in back yard. The mead I have is not made with honey from my hives but eventually I'll use some. Bees are amazing. Is there something different about a mead buzz.???? Attached is a pic from my bees from the summer.
099.jpg
[/IMG]

Back