Carboy Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and just started all grain brewing (previously did partial mash). I made a Holiday Ale and when I was done boiling I had 5 gallons of wort in my plastic bucket fermenter. When I transfer it into the secondary fermentor (carboy) there will be a lot of head space. I've been told that you don't want any head space because the air increases chances of spoilage. Is this true? If so, what is the best way to fix it. I was told by my father to add water to the top. I don't want to water down my beer so I would think this is the best thing to do. Any guidance is appreciated.

Ideally the air wouldn't be there, but I've transfered to many secondaries and never had any problem. When transferring, try to be as "quiet" as you can with your siphoning to minimize splashing and oxidation.

I would not add water unless you really want to lower the ABV and body of the beer.

In fact, you might just skip the secondary. I rarely do a secondary anymore.

Yea, do not add water. That would completely change your beer. You won't be aging in it for years like wine, so a little headspace isn't a concern.

Back