Hop Bag Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SporkD2

Reaction score
I recently make a hop bag which consists of a big pvc coupling, a 5 gallon paint strainer and some clips to hold it over the top of my keggle.

I brewed a wheat today that was #5.5 Wheat and #4 2-row. 1.5oz of Hallertau Mitterlfruh at 60 and .5 at 5 giving it 24 IBU's. 1.043 SG, 1056 yeast.

My first taste notes out of the kettle after boiling was a very grainy taste, and not much hops.

Can I assume that with fermentation these grainy tastes will go away and the hop flavor will begin to come out? I am afraid that my hop bag isnt letting my hops get enough exposure to the boiling wort around it.

Also I am still dialing in my new grain mill. Could this grainy taste be caused my milling too fine? I did not get a stuck sparge using my cpvc manifold.

Thanks

At only 25 IBU's, you're not going to get a lot of hop presence right now. Once the sugars get converted, the beer will balance out much better.

I generally run 4-5 ounces of hops in my hop bag with no drop in utilization. You only had 2 ounces.

I also mill pretty fine and have no issues with grainy taste...once the beer is complete.

Give everything time to work itself out.

At only 25 IBU's, you're not going to get a lot of hop presence right now. Once the sugars get converted, the beer will balance out much better.

I generally run 4-5 ounces of hops in my hop bag with no drop in utilization. You only had 2 ounces.

I also mill pretty fine and have no issues with grainy taste...once the beer is complete.

Give everything time to work itself out.

I'm excited about those hallertau's I won at least months meeting. I have never used them before and I will be interested to see how this comes out.

My first taste notes out of the kettle after boiling was a very grainy taste, and not much hops.
Sounds about right. Your beer is going to taste different after fermentation, though. Don't judge it too soon.

I have used a similar hop bag on my last few brews, and had great success. I bet you will too. :mug:

I like 40 or more IBU's in an ale so 25 is really weak to me. Sweetness really masks hop flavor and bitterness so wait 2 to 3 weeks and see what happens. To many judge their beer at kegging or bottling and that gives you some idea but is not the final judgement.

Wheats are low IBU, low hop aroma beers. Hallertau is a mild, slightly spicy hop that is good for the style.

[Not everything is a Left-coast IPA guys]

Wheats are low IBU, low hop aroma beers. Hallertau is a mild, slightly spicy hop that is good for the style.

[Not everything is a Left-coast IPA guys]

Agreed! 24 IBU's with 1.043 OG sounds pretty well balanced. Just let the 1056 do their job and consume all of the sugars, and make sure that you let it age properly and I'm sure you will be surprised at how well it turns out in the end.

Back