Ch-Ch-Check it out? - (pale ale recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some input on my extract homebrew
I'm trying to brew what was originally a Sierra nevada clone, but I think this time I'm going to go a little hoppier, and it was never THAT close to SN, just a satisfying, drinkable pale ale, nice and crisp, sorta citrusy.
long story short, I lost my recipe, and am trying to recreate it, this time with some better brewing practices and whole hops.
Aim: Create nice crisp, moderatley hoppy pale ale
Yeast: Nottingham Ale Yeast

Hops: last time I used 1 1/2 oz centennial at beginning of the 60 minutes, and then 1 3/4 oz amarillo and 1/4 oz centennial 13 minutes to end of boil
This time I just ordered a mess of fresh whole hops from freshops.com, I got amarillo cenntenial cascade chinook and perle 3,2,3,2,2 oz respectively
I'm planning on using 1 1/4 centennial and 1/2 cascade at beginning of boil and then 1 1/4 amarillo and another 1/2 of cascade

2 lb DME

1/4 lb crystal 120L

somewhere between 1/2 - 1 lb crystal 40L
Whaddya think?

Is that for 5 gallons?

You need about another 4 pounds of DME.

I'd cut the crystal 40 in half, and drop the crystal 120 (or use the 120 very, very sparingly if you're going to use it).

I'd use 6 pounds of DME, and steep half a pound of crystal 40. That'd be a starting gravity of around 1.053.

BYO - 1998

Ingredients:
8 oz. caramel malt, 30° Lovibond
6 oz. DeWolf-Cosyns cara-pils malt
6 lbs. light malt syrup
1.5 oz. Perle hops (8.2% alpha acid) for 60 min.
2.5 oz. Cascade hops (5.4% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 15 min., 1 oz. for 5 min., 0.5oz. pellets (dry hopping).
Wyeast 1056 (American ale)
11/4 cup dry malt extract

-OCD

final recipe:
180g crystal 40
20g crystal 60
20g crystal 20
40g crystal 120
somewhere between 5 and 6 lbs DME
Hops:
60 min
1oz centennial
.5oz cascade
25 min
.25oz cascade
.25oz centennial
13 min
1.5oz amarillo
.5oz cascade

Turned out real nice, very holiday appropriate, tastes a lot like SN celebration ale (their holiday brew) next batch I'm gonna ease back on the bittering hops as it was a little too bitter and didn't catch as much of the character of the hops as I was looking for, and dial the crystal 120 back to 10 or 15 grams, 40 was way too much for what I'm after, although as a wintery hoppy pale ale, it works.
all in all, satisfied, but excited for next batch

Back