Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I am currently mashing 9.25 lbs. of grain with 3 gallons of water. I want to make a 5 gallon batch, but need to boil 6 gallons (due to boil-off). Would the best way to sparge be splitting the difference (3 gallons) as two 1.5 gallons batch sparges to make my total 6 gallons? Also, in order to hit my sparge temp. of 170, do I make my strike temp. as if the grain temp was 152F (my mash temp.)? So i think that would be like, 171F?

Short timing I know, but need help

Don't forget about grain absorbtion. You're going to get about 2 gallons out of first runnings. The half sparge infusions will be closer to 2 gallons each to reach six, but try to measure your actual first runnings so you know what the actual sparge should be.

Also, you're going to boil off about 1.25 gallons per 60 minute boil (give or take) and don't forget about trub loss. If your kettle can handle it, start with 6.5 or even 7g.

Thanks so much for the help, ill aim for 6.5. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt over sparging by going with 1.5 - 2 gallons of sparge water. Any suggestions as to what my strike temp should be for sparging 170? not too much hotter I wouldnt think since the grain bed is so hot already. Thanks

Thanks so much for the help, ill aim for 6.5. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt over sparging by going with 1.5 - 2 gallons of sparge water. Any suggestions as to what my strike temp should be for sparging 170? not too much hotter I wouldnt think since the grain bed is so hot already. Thanks

If you are not doing a mashout then have your sparge water at like 180*. If you were going to fly sparge then this would be a different thing.

As a general rule of thumb (no replacement for software calculations)

Strike water for the mash should be roughly 12 degrees hotter than your desired mash temp.

If you aren't going to mash-out, heat your sparge water to 180-185 deg to rase the grain bed to around 168-70 during the sparge.

And with batch sparging, you don't have to worry so much about over-sparging, unless you were talking about collecting an inordinant amount of wort.

Back