My Extract vs. Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
Well I think I am going to take the step from full extract brews to partial mash. I recently just make a pale ale extract with two ounces glacier hops for bittering that went in for 60 minutes, and 2oz of cascade at the 5 min mark.

I am going to be purchasing the same kit from my LHBS but I am going to get the partial mash version. Is there any hop schedule that would work good for this or did the brewing store get it right with the 2oz for 60min and the 2oz at 5min.

I also plan to dry hop both batches, but with different hops I think. 1 will be cascade, and the other.... well what goes well with glacier and cascade hops?

:mug:

thanks for any input

See how you like the taste of the beer. If you want more hop taste in the beer, then you can add at different times during the boil. The clones I have seen for 60 minute and 90 minute IPA have hops added throughout the boil.

Someone here should be able to provide more information on timing and the effect on flavor.

:mug:

Brewing: German Ale
Primary: empty
Secondary: American Wheat
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Empty

What are the benefits of adding hops in at 60 min compared to some at like 15 min? More bittering characters being added from the longer boil compared to more of an flavor/aroma effect with the shorter boil time?

What are the benefits of adding hops in at 60 min compared to some at like 15 min? More bittering characters being added from the longer boil compared to more of an flavor/aroma effect with the shorter boil time?

That's it exactly. The earlier additions do the bulk of the bittering but add little specific hop character, and the later ones add flavor and aroma, with a lot less bittering. There are recipes around that use late hop additions exclusively to maximize flavor/aroma, but you need a lot of hops to do that, since you get inefficient bittering. You can also add hops to your secondary fermenter, which is called dry-hopping. This is exclusively for aroma, and is done on a lot of IPA's and a decent number of APA's.

Latest posts

Back